how much compression in stock SPRINGS?

lopejd01

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I had this guy build me a battery box and he built the thing too big. I'm trying to make it work since it took him almost 2 months to finish it and I dont want to go back. I'm afraid its going to be too big and the wheel is going to bonce up and hit the box and tear it off/lock up/end up with my face on the asphalt.

Heres some pictures of the room I have to work with.

I hooked the box up, supported the wheel, removed the springs and picked the tire up to see how much space the tire would have to move before it hit the box. I came up with about 2 and 3/4 in before the tire would rub the box. So the conclusion is is that anymore compression than about 2 and 1/2 in would cause the tire to hit it. Does anyone know how far the stock springs will compress??

Attachments

• IMG240.jpg
    IMG240.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG241.jpg
    IMG241.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG242.jpg
    IMG242.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG243.jpg
    IMG243.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG245.jpg
    IMG245.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
On a stock bike the rear wheel travel is 3.15 inches. That means the whell moves 3.15 inches from it's lowest point to it's highest point of travel. The shock is hooked a bit infront of the axle, so the lower shock mount travels a bit less, say 3 inches. This means the shock compresses about three inches from it's longest to shortest.
Rebuild the box.
Leo

Back