How much did your build cost? guesstimations?

wmarsh4

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for estimates on how much your build cost? a round about. Was just trying to round up what its gonna cost or close to. Pics of your build would be great to if possible. Sure this would be interesting to alot and helpful also.
Thanks.

Posted via Mobile

Too much variation for meaningful responses IMHO.

At one end of the scale, you take a basically running bike and just fix all the little stuff that 30 years of wear and tear will create, on the other end you take a basket case, put modern forks and a monoshock on it, a 750 kit and a rephase on the motor, custom pipes, custom paint, etc.etc. You might do one for $300, the other could fairly easily go $10,000.

I took a running '79 and added tires, chain, sprockets, brake lines, battery, Pamco ignition, rear shocks, bars, carb boots, air cleaners, mufflers and miscellaneous rubber bits and I have about $2800 in it including the original purchase price.

nom1.jpg

or....you could buy a basket casse for 50$, find a piston that let go of the pin, crammed the piston up to the valves, rebuild that motor for about a grand, cut th eback end off, make your own hard tail, 70$ on a frisco'ed sporty tank, cheap cheng-shin tires.all misc. pieces, wireing, wasted materials and come up with a rat roddish bike for another 1000$
....looks like a 500$ hack job, but its mine, and I built it.
with my time put in to it, I wouldn't let it go for less than 4g's, but the prospective buyer, prolly would offer me more than a grand. I lost all the receipts , and so I keep it.
5t and leo, and griz, look the other way when I swing thru your town. I did the best I knew how to do with the pos I started with.

2-3k if you want a good clean bike that has some mods, pretty clean top to bottom. 3k-5k if you want it really nice, and 5k+ if you're top to bottom new/rebuilt/built.

You can get a decent looking runner for 1k if you keep your eye open. I got mine for 650 and it would have been a good, pretty clean, stock runner.

I'm far from done, but I bought a "was running before put in storage 2 years ago" bike and between purchase price and rebuilds/parts I'm at about 1,700 and the bike is now running and *should* get me through the summer if nothing major goes wrong. I've also got about 100 in parts I haven't put on the bike and another $250 or so in tools (air compressor, some wrenches, large size sockets, jis screw drivers, etc), so keep that in mind as well. My goal was to keep it under 2k, so far so good. Probably going to aim for a pamco next summer, but the points aren't really that bad, they just nag at the back of my brain.

Posted via Mobile

Thanks everyone, sure more than just me are getting some interest in this. Im wanting to do a budget build. But really there isnt a budget. Just want to see how cheap I can be.. this wont be my only build. More or less the experience enhancer lol. I for sure have a 72 in my uncles basement. But hear the frames are weaker? Which is making me want to wait till the "tougher" frame option comes by around the same price and snag it up.
Any more prices from anyone is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Posted via Mobile

This new engine still cost me probably 1200 bucks, and all of it was done by me except the boring of the jugs. 680cc.....the rest was parts. Ebay kills a guy. Second parts motor wasnt a whole bunch better.

Posted via Mobile

Back