How much oil from your breather

TAlber8

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
'74 fresh rebuild- 700cc - 150miles on fresh build. Oil was near low mark pre-ride; I checked. Runs well (now!) good leakdiwn and both cylinders match. This was new piston rings, fresh bore (heads refreshed too)

This has been a journey but now she is running quite well, took out 25 miles today and came home to surprise after I parked.

It always has oil from the breather. I need to add a valve and catch can; this is now on top of my to do list.

But how much oil does your spit? Even after short rides it'll drop out this 'gray-beige' oil from tube that I think is that color because of being frothed.

This time I jumped on highway on way home and it spun 4K rpm for 8 miles or so.

My back tire was covered in oil! As was undercarriage etc. sketchy for sure. It always used to have a little but this was a LOT.

Gonna try to post pics; it was after I had already began to clean it. I'm not terribly worried because runs well, leak down was good. Now I need to contain it. But I'm still a little surprised.

Attachments

• IMG_6520.JPG
    IMG_6520.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_6518.JPG
    IMG_6518.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 167
2 diff breather hoses (it's the dbl breather) 2 diff color oils...

Attachments

• IMG_6519.JPG
    IMG_6519.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 138
Sounds like water to me too. Don’t forget it takes a while for the new rings to bed in.

Are you starting it for short periods of time? Constantly starting it for short periods of time and only getting the engine barely warm might increase the condensation inside the motor.

Scott

Nahhh.... and even if so would take a considerable amount of water I think...

Oil looked fine when checked pre-ride.

Fresh gas, not raining or anything. Garage kept...

Whatever got into it, your oil is contaminated; "frothed" oil doesn't turn opaque, milky beige, neither does oil contaminated by gasoline. To answer your title question, my XS650D has no visible or measurable oil loss from the breather; I use a Krankvent one-way valve, no catch can needed 'cause there's nothing ro catch.

If you have the dual output breather and both outlets are wide open, that could be part of the problem. Yamaha wrestled with this over the years. At first they reduced the oil level in the engine. Then they blocked one output off and only used one. Then they went back to using 2 but with reducer plugs in them. Finally, they redesigned the housing, making it a single output and reducing the size of that output. I think I'd shop around for a late type single output breather and swap that on.

Hi TAlber8,
I cannot understand why your two-hoser gives contaminated oil from one hose & ordinary oil from t'other
because both hoses are connected to the same hole in the head?
A while ago my '84 had the same massive oil leak that's shown in your photo.
Although the oil fog really kept tailgaters away I parked the bike and rode another until I was shamed into looking for the cause.
I'd removed the vent casting to re-drill it's tiny hole when advised to do that and to fit a non-return valve in the line.
Alas that Mr Stupid hadn't properly tightened the 4 Allen head fasteners on re-install so that 3 of the fasteners were a few turns loose and the 4th was missing.
I replaced the missing fastener and tightened all 4 to close the 1/4" gap and the leak went away.
Check yours, eh?

Back