How much slide difference is allowable

birdog4549

81 XS-H Special II
Reaction score
I have cleaned the carbs and reassembled. When I manually raise the right slide and cover the top wide hole it slows down but no where near what the left slide slows down when I raise it and choke the top hole. the left slide is different than the right and I know it should slow down but can there be any difference in the rate of drop between slides? I suppose I know the answer so if this is bad where is the best place to get the rubber things that are on the tops of the slides. I have seen them around and I like 650 Central so far but is there any "top" place to get these things?

if there is any difference between slide movement i'd just go ahead and replace the diaphragms (and the carb manifolds while you're at it). i had the same problem with mine and ended up messing with the carbs all last year. replaced the slide diaphragms with the JBM's (along with manifolds) and she runs like a completely different bike now.

I have the intakes from 650 Central that "meet or exceed OEM specs...) and ordered the diaphragm replacements from JBM Industries. Cudo's to both of these vendors in my experience with them.

Back