How much vibration should I expect?

hotrdd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
How much vibration is too much? If I start to tweak things how much calmer can I get it?

Right now the bike is running fine though I do need to play with the main jets a bit. I haven't synced the carbs in a while but am going to take a look at them shortly. The problem is that the bike is exhausting to ride with this much vibration. The motor is mounted solid and all of the bolts are tight. I have forward controls and when riding down the road above 50kmh my feet are vibrating right off the foot pegs. I took the bike downtown :bike: to work this morning and my 25 min, 14k (9 mile) ride left my body vibrating for 45 minutes. My hands and feet where numb. I have a nice comfy fat boy seat though it's mounted solid to the bike and suspension. No rigid here.

Is there a check list of items I should be checking? How smooth have you gotten your bike? :confused:

XS650's vibrate, no question about it. But not that badly. Something is wrong or you're ultra sensitive to vibes. Lots of things can make a bike vibrate besides the fact that it's a parallel twin. Wheels out of balance? Suspension setup out of whack? Timing issues?
What have you done to localize possible causes? Might be as simple as the condition of your bar mount isolators. Maybe a bar snake would help. Need to know more about the specifics of the vibrations you are experiencing.

I rode mine 50 miles this evening in about 50 minutes without experiencing the woes you are describing.

roy

stock footpegs are rubber mounted also, so expect more vibrations to transfer if your pegs are solid mounted. I filled my handlebars with silicone and swapped my sprockets and those mods made the biggest reduction in vibes on my bike. I run 18/30, but I also ran 18/32 sprockets last year.

Last edited:
my build is just barely finished, but Ive had it up to 45MPH a couple times around my 'hood. I have solid mounted pegs, mounts are tite, carbs are synced and tuned, hard tail, sprung seat.
smooth sailing.

Does anyone have a check list of what items to check. I feel like there is way more vibration coming from the engine as there seems to be smoother spots in the RPM range. But that might be in my head. Who knows 

This is what I am thinking.

1) Dyna Beads to balance the wheels.
2) Carb tuning and syncing.
3)

Sounds a lot like sync to me if you're having some areas that are smooth and others that are rough. You try hitting the carbs w a manometer yet?

I have a maometer sitting in the corner and will sync them tonight and see how things go. I had been waiting until I could get the new mufflers on though.

+1 for dynabeads. Keep ignition/carbs/valves in good tune and it's not too bad.

My only vibration issue is that I got too 'sporty' a set of handle bars. once I get something a little more relaxed and upright it should be pretty good all-round.

+1 for dynabeads. Keep ignition/carbs/valves in good tune and it's not too bad.

My only vibration issue is that I got too 'sporty' a set of handle bars. once I get something a little more relaxed and upright it should be pretty good all-round.

i have a 82 hs and it use to vibrate bad till i pulled the carbs apart cleaned and jetted up one on pilot and two on mains and in runs so much better and half as much vibration

Gearing made a big difference for me (18/30) but not sure what the effect would be with forward controls. Yamaha mounted things like footpegs and bars in rubber for a reason.

i found timing (no points) being the exact same on both cyls, and sync to be the big ones. Stock gearing on my 74 is pretty smooth now at 110km/h

+2 for Dynabeads!!!!

I just installed some along with new rear tire and WOW! Like riding on glass!

I also changed sprocket to 32 from 34. If carbs running a little rough, get some Seafoam. Cleared up mine pretty well.

I haven't put in the Dynabeeds yet but its on my list. I have went through the bike again and it is now running a lot smoother. Now I just need to figure out if I am running rich or lean. My mains are all the way up to 135 and I think it's still lean but now I'm second guessing myself and thinking to rich. The new plugs look golden.

I haven't put in the Dynabeeds yet but its on my list. I have went through the bike again and it is now running a lot smoother. Now I just need to figure out if I am running rich or lean. My mains are all the way up to 135 and I think it's still lean but now I'm second guessing myself and thinking to rich. The new plugs look golden.

Fill me in. What are dynabeads? Are they like putting lead shot in your bars? Thanks Mitch :confused:

Back