How short is too short

Tim of DO THE TON

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
So - just how many inches can one remove from the front end of an XS650's 35mm forks?

Talking about lowering them. I'm working with a Voodoo Vintage MK4 frame and I'm looking at potentially needing to remove 3-4 inches of height.

Dropped mine 3" and moved up tree close to 1/2". Have about 2 inches of travel from the bottom tree to the fork boot. I don't bottom out. If any lower use 30w fork oil.

Dropped mine 3" and moved up tree close to 1/2". Have about 2 inches of travel from the bottom tree to the fork boot. I don't bottom out. If any lower use 30w fork oil.

That's more or less the range I'll end up with to make the frame level.

I've been working on alternative front ends for the bike - girders, springers etc. but haven't come up with anything yet. So in the meantime I'm working with stock 35mm forks and plan on putting the covers on them up top to clean them up a bit and make them look a bit like '50s Triumph forks.

This is likely just a bar-hopper bike for around town, but still, I'd like to have some suspension up front if for nothing else some safety.

I saw a picture on fb of a girder/springer front end that voodoo vintage were developing. It looked pretty slick on those frames. Aggressive as hell! Looked like it was doing a ton standing still.

I've been working on David to do a springer for me :) He designed one from scratch a while back and it's really tidy and small. Not completely sold on the modified DNA. It's a massive improvement, but if I could have any front end I wanted, it would be a girder.

~$1K and I can have a custom girder done. So one day, I'll splurge and drop the hammer on that.

One way to build a high tech girder is to cut off the steering neck, run suspension A-arms from the frame to the neck. The steering neck is unsuspended so the legs to the front wheel are ridgid. The steering is at the neck but a steering linkage should be used so the handlebars stay sprung.

This is similar to the Hossack design but uses trunions and king pin instead of ball joints.

Tom

Sounds great, but not practical in my situation - no plans on cutting the neck off. This is what I'm currently working with.

Attachments

• 2013-02-03 11.01.24.jpg
    2013-02-03 11.01.24.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 140
BBuy me lunch and i will bring up the welder and toys and help ya build.it

Might just take you up on that. I've got a Lincoln 180 here, but haven't used it yet - just starting to get into the welding side of things. Too cold to go outside and play with it just yet, and I'm taking a quick intro at Centennial College next weekend.

But aside from an angle grinder, no other metal working tools or solid flat level surfaces to build the blades on.

Back