How the Eff does this happen? (Warning: Brake disaster)

Leejin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I bought this absolute POS from some guy.

This bike has been one thing after another.. I'm hardly riding it. The PO was just... ugh.. so many bad decisions.. But that's another story.

Here's my rear brake; (I warned you)
2dYOuxU.jpg

I have around 800 Miles that I've driven it. Never had a rear brake problem. (The rotor is a little marked). :wtf:

I haven't touched the rear end (i've been wasting my time on other parts of the bike).

So, where do I even begin? New rotor and brake caliper/mount.

Does anyone want to just come get this bike?
Just kidding, for now..

Yeah I had my issues with my 1983 XS650 Heritage Special, the only thing to do is one problem at a time:shrug: btw what bike are you working on?

It is what I think a 78 xs650. No idea about anything more. Nothing is stock. the custom frame is stamped a 72 though. But I have disc front and rear brakes.

Wrong caliper, rotor combination?

I have no idea.. I don't think so. Maybe he was missing a spacer? there was one of the left side, but not on the right, rotor side. Should there be?

Welcome to the world of one off specials with no documentation. When you buy one of these monsters you are at the mercy of the PO's engineering skills (or much more likely; lack thereof).
Here's the diagrams of what SHOULD all be in there.

REAR_DISC_BRAKE-CALIPER.png

REAR_WHEEL.png

All the right parts in the right order and in working condition, overhauled, lubed, bled with new parts where needed, from MC to caliper. Then you are guaranteed a working brake.

I am guessing I could not have let a rear brake go to the point of looking like that without noticing something was wrong... What warning signs were you ignoring?

So, I bought this absolute POS from some guy.

This bike has been one thing after another.. I'm hardly riding it. The PO was just... ugh.. so many bad decisions.. But that's another story.

Here's my rear brake; (I warned you)
2dYOuxU.jpg

I have around 800 Miles that I've driven it. Never had a rear brake problem. (The rotor is a little marked). :wtf:

I haven't touched the rear end (i've been wasting my time on other parts of the bike).

So, where do I even begin? New rotor and brake caliper/mount.

Does anyone want to just come get this bike?
Just kidding, for now..

I have to ask an obvious question. If you saw the bike was a POS, why did you buy it? If the PO was an idiot and assembled a piece of junk, that was his problem. You bought it, so I'd say you now have to sort out his "build".

Even in stock form, these are 30+ year old machines. They all need a thorough going through before they can be used and be reliable. You can't just buy one, hop on it, and ride off into the sunset, although many of the new guys try. Yours is just a brake problem and a pretty easy fix with some replacement parts. A newbie in another recent post lunched his motor because, basically, he didn't have a clue what he was doing. That didn't stop him though, lol - and another 650 bites the dust.

I am guessing I could not have let a rear brake go to the point of looking like that without noticing something was wrong... What warning signs were you ignoring?

I wouldn't have thought it either, obviously. Didn't have any signs. One day, I couldn't back out of my garage, heard a horrible grinding.. Looked down.. bam. It had obviously gone on for a bit, but I never noticed it. Too busy with the leaking fuel, horrible charging, leaking fork seals, bad wiring, etc..

I am one of the many that bit off more than they could chew. First bike, I had to start somewhere. Victims of the war.

Welcome to the world of one off specials with no documentation. When you buy one of these monsters you are at the mercy of the PO's engineering skills (or much more likely; lack thereof).

Wow.. These are great. is there a good site I can get ALL the things, cause I think I need them all. I have removed the rear wheel and the bearings are all a mess as well.

Thanks for the diagrams.

REAR_WHEEL.png

All the right parts in the right order and in working condition, overhauled, lubed, bled with new parts where needed, from MC to caliper. Then you are guaranteed a working brake.

That's what I am realizing. Thanks.

Even in stock form, these are 30+ year old machines. They all need a thorough going through before they can be used and be reliable. You can't just buy one, hop on it, and ride off into the sunset, although many of the new guys try. Yours is just a brake problem and a pretty easy fix with some replacement parts. A newbie in another recent post lunched his motor because, basically, he didn't have a clue what he was doing. That didn't stop him though, lol - and another 650 bites the dust.

Yeah, this bike is slowly headed that route. I have improved every aspect of this bike since I bought it, but it's just now becoming something I need an entire shop for.

Might hit the parts/sell off chop block here in a bit.

Thanks everyone for the information.

REAR_WHEEL.png

I just realized this; The PO had the main axle in the opposite way. The main nut is on the caliper side. Could this have something to do with the wear on my rotor and brake mount?

Can I just some new pads and reorient the axle?

Ima try that at least.

The axle can be installed from the wrong side with no issues if the adjusters are swapped and installed upside down, or if the PO augered out the small hole in the LH adjuster.
No you can't just put in new pads you have to go through the brake and fix all the issues.

Lots of times,you can't fix it until it breaks!!!! Well,it's broke so now fix it,and from this point on,you will know what's under you. At least the rear break parts.

A good starting point if your "bearings are all a mess" would be to start from scratch using the references provide and replace the wheel bearings. Then you can determine if the rotor offset and spacing for the caliper bracket are correct. If you just put on a new set of pads and don't address the bearings or spacing you are just asking for trouble. If you replace the bearings a good source is All Balls Racing.

Looks like the caliper is not returning after compressing on the brake rotor. Make sure all your caliper slides are lubed and probably rebuild the caliper with new seals just in case the pot is sticking. I would (as previously stated by others) check wheel bearings while you are back there.

Looks like the caliper is not returning after compressing on the brake rotor. Make sure all your caliper slides are lubed and probably rebuild the caliper with new seals just in case the pot is sticking. I would (as previously stated by others) check wheel bearings while you are back there.

First bit of helpful information other than the diagrams. Thanks!

First bit of helpful information other than the diagrams. Thanks!

Think about it and check the diagrams against the advice.

If the piston wasn't returning the rotor wouldn't be rubbing against the caliper mount

I have an 850 GS Suzuki, and one of the traits of this model is that the rear brake can go completely to hell without noticeable warning. I had the last of the pad lining literally fall off the bike before it showed a single symptom.

Back