How tight on stem nut?

Shorty

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finishing up my front end swap. Got my All Balls bearing set, drove in the races and got everything assembled. Just curious how tight I should tighten the spanner nut on the top of the stem. I snugged it up good and there is a little resistance when I turn everything now. Can you tighten it too much? Any tips?

There's two? Yeah good and snug then back off a smidge and tighten against each other. There's a procedure with a fish scale etc. But mainly I like to recheck it after a 100 miles or so, those bearings have a habit of loosening up when you ride it the first time, for me anyways.

Mine is a 72 so the spanner part and a nut are all together they tighten down on top of the cap.. Then the triple sits on top of that in there is another nut on top of all that... unless I am totally missing something

Oh yeah them early ones are complex little buggers but the tightening then rechecking is about the same.

STEERING.png

I will back it off a little and see if it feels better... Mine is exactly like that but I am using Ninja 500 triples (stock stem swapped and upper washer cut down to fit those triples)

Just didn't know with new bearings packed with grease if I should feel any resistance when moving it side to side

Side note...does anyone know if #14 in that diagram is still available from Yamaha, mine is rusted and pitted badly on the outside

Yes that was the idea of the fish scale; to measure the side to side resistance. Couple on here use the fall-off test; with the wheel mounted the fork should stay pointed straight ahead and slowly fall off once you turn it a bit off center, or something along those lines LOL. ie some resistance but not a LOT.

Finishing up my front end swap. Got my All Balls bearing set, drove in the races and got everything assembled. Just curious how tight I should tighten the spanner nut on the top of the stem. I snugged it up good and there is a little resistance when I turn everything now. Can you tighten it too much? Any tips?

Hi Shorty,
tighten like Gary sez.
How tight? Don't need no steenkin' fish scale.
Jack up the bike so the front wheel is just off the ground.
Tighten the jam nuts so there's ZERO headrace bearing shake.
Center the bars, if they fall to one side or the other of their own volition, tighten the jam nuts a tad more until they stay centered.
Give them a slight nudge and the steering should fall all the way over.
Should be the same each side.
And yeah, check 'em again in a hundred miles.
Note for first time sidecar installers.
This setting is too loose for sidecar work and can cause major headshake.
Give 'em another half-turn.

Thanks! I will slide the forks back under it tonight and give it a shot... ( I don't have handlebars yet I am going to be running clip ons, or possibly stock ninja bars)

Back