How to close a lock tab?

luckynumber0

In Over His Head
Reaction score
Hey all,

Rudimentary question:

What is the proper procedure for bending a new clutch lock tab over the nut?

And for good measure because there are also a few on the chassis I might encounter in the future - what is the proper way to get them off?

Thanks!

-Lucky

I use a 1/2 chisel to lift the edge (I dress it with a file so I don't get gouges) then work it onto the flat of the nut with an appropriate sized punch. A cheap flat tip will start an installed one down, then a flat faced punch to work it on down out of the way. If you re-use one, bend it in a different spot. 3 uses and you are done with a round type. The two hole tabs on the rear sprocket should probably be planned for replacement. That type likes to crack.

Hi luckynumber0,
what ace said. In addition, start the tab with a small pre-bend before you put it on.
I've had new rear sprocket tabs that were so flat down after the nuts were torqued that the cold chisel was crushing the tab's lip rather than folding it up.
Get them off by driving a cold chisel between the tab and the nut.
Once it's off, THROW IT AWAY! They only work once.

Unless your chisel is really short you might find a pair of channel lock pliers works well for the clutch lock tab. The lower jaw under the shaft nut and the upper jaw on the edge of the washer roll/fold it to the nut. My experience is that washer isn't that substantial.
For the others, where you can fit a chisel easily, are done as above.

I have a special chisel for this that is a very faint radius rather than a knife edge, and the outer corners have about a 3/32" radius filed on them. This, and careful placement before tapping on it, avoids gouging. A also use the pre bend and channel lock techniques referenced above when they are applicable.

Only use once? Not in MY shop. LOL dull or dressed chisels, keep moving the chisel away from the nut as the washer straightens to spread out the wear and carefully hammer them back flat on an anvil once off. Even in my shop they break and need to be replaced after a few bends.

Back