how to determine drive chain length?!?

Mitchell_p

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
the bike i bought had already been hard tailed and im not sure if its extended the wheel base or not. Would anyone be able to help me determine how many links i need my chain to be running a 17t and 32t sprockets. If you have a stock measurement from the front sprocket to the rear sprocket maybe i could go off of that. I'm fine with shortening chain. Just don't want to order online and get something to small cause im in OZ.

Thanks!

Ok so i have an o ring chain that is going to fit it already. I am abit unsure about joining it though. I have joined older non o ring chains before with the little joining clip. I dont have a riveting chainbreaking tool so can i still join o ring chain with out it?

just make sure that the chain you have is the same size of the sprockets.
i dont have any info on the oring thing, i dont believe in them.

You'll need the o-ring master link and it can either be rivet on or clip on. I ran o-ring clip links on my RC-51 for more track days than I could count and never had any issues, and I was doing 145 miles an hour with a bike that had 130 hp. If you don't have a chain break tool, you'll have to grind the pins down till you can punch them out and replace with the master link.

Last edited:
Back