How to get Florida title

maxdog

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
All,
I have managed to obtain a few old XS650's, and some do not have titles. May I get some info from someone on how to obtain a title in Florida? In searching for this info, seen a number of threads on this, but would like to know how to do it in Florida. In visiting my local tag agency and talking to different ladies at different times, they say you cannot do it. I explained the concept of "barn finds" and no records, but they came up with the stock answer. Surely there is a way to do this. I would appreciate any input from folks in Florida who have done this recently successfully. Thanks in advance.

I just looked briefly at the statutes for obtaining a title in Florida and I hope for your sake you are a lawyer or know one. Its so convoluted and vague I have no idea.

Here is the only document you need in TN, it only requires a bill of sale if its over 30 years old. Perhaps if you can find something similar in your state you may get it done.

http://www.tn.gov/revenue/forms/titlereg/f1310401Fill-in.pdf

Here is the location of the statutes in Florida see if you can make any sense out of it.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/Title23/#Title23

Chapter 319 and 320 are the relevant chapters. It does look like there are some wording to allow some special treatment for bikes over 30 years old but I cannot make it out.

I know its not much to go in but it may get you started.

You can register them in Vermont and can live out of state. You do need a bill of sale from the last registrant though. You should be able to do it over the phone . They'll send you a Vermont transferable registration and a plate, then you can take that registration to your dmv to get a title. I've heard of people as far away as Hawaii doing this and tons of others.

Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify, the bikes without titles have no information at all, no previous owner info, no knowledge of when last registered, zero info. We all hear about "barn finds" and i should think there would be a process of being able to start with a new title. Is there any way to take the serial number, go to a sheriff, police, and have them do some kind of search and verify not stolen? Looking for Florida specific info here. Thanks!!

Hi max,
if you just found the bikes someplace and took them home, that's called Stealing by finding in the UK and you can get nicked for doing it.
OTOH, if you bought them, did you at least get a receipt?

No they are not stolen, yes i do have a receipt but there is NO paper trail. Just want to know if there is a simplified way of titling these in Florida. Please, no editorials.

I went to the tag agency again today and asked about titling. After hidden consultations, they said I had to get a court order!. Went to the sheriffs department to see if they had any advice. Nothing there either. Went to the courthouse and talked to a clerk and said it would be minimum $300 in fees to get a court order. This is insane!

Surely someone in Florida has been able to get a barn find bike titled without all this craziness??

Government is our friend????????

I hate to tell you what you already know but the DMV, court or any other Government agency is at best going to give you the stare of death and next comment. These guys all too often count the minutes till they go home and get their joys disappointing people. It is very likely there is no easy way to get a title for these bikes locally.

As mentioned before there are title services, and ways to get around it you're going to have to do your own legwork though.

If you know someone in TN or Alabama, probably other states. I know you can get them titled with just a bill of sale or receipt you purchased them from. In TN they do not even require a inspection of the bike or verification of the vin, you literally just walk in with the form I mentioned filled out pay 40.00 and walk out with a registration and tags. About 3 weeks later you receive a title in the mail.

I wish I knew more about Florida but sadly I do not.

Thanks. I remember seeing a post somewhere where a Florida person went to one tag agency and got my response, then went to another one and it was no problem, they got the title for him. Not sure of all the details, but if this is accurate, there must be a "way" for them to do it in their system. Seems like nobody wants to think or dig outside the box. The expression "this is the way we have always done things" or "it can't be done" really rubs me the wrong way.

I remember a seasoned missionary once told me when dealing with beaurocracies in foreign lands, and running into people who have never been outside the box, he said: When they "no", remember, that is an opinion, not an answer. He would tell them you are going to do it and do it this way for me. Not being arrogant, not contentious, speaking calmly and politely, but just refusing to take no for an answer. And, invariably it worked. They never had someone confront them with options that they had but didn't want to explore. Soft but firm answer turns away wrath?

This is the reason to not buy non titled bikes.

At least know what you are getting into when you do buy them.

In about 45 seconds of research I located this agency in Florida, they claim to be able to get a title without going out of state. It might be a place to start. It states for cars but I imagine it will work for bikes. Either way its in your hands now GL getting it done.

http://floridafasttitle.com/

Back