How to get more "cheap "power? For doubling

nlovern

possom man
Reaction score
Hi,
Nathan lovern here. My 82 Xs is stock. How can i get little more power for boubling my wifen me?Would ithurt to drop the front sprocket 1 tooth? I dont plan to go over 65 anyway. as long as it can do the interstate thing.
Just want to be able to double in the ol Virginia mountians and blue ridge parkway.
Im 175 and my wife is 220.:doh:
Thanks

I ride 2up with my wife all the time, and its does great. However, I am hauling a few lbs less... just my opinion but your gonna need to get a bigger bike, it would be easier to ride, and more comfortable.

Last edited:
Hate to be the one...but gentlemen, if your XS650s won't maintain a 70 mph cruising speed in the Smokies with that kind of load, you either need to put them in a decent state of tune or find out where 4th gear is.

If you want to gear lower, just put a 36 tooth sprocket on the back wheel. It will do the 65 mph you mentioned, and have more zip up in the mountains.

I just did over 2000 kms last week in the mountains of south east British Columbia. I weigh 173 lbs plus about 40 lbs of bags etc. My 17/33 gearing worked really well, even on the steep grades such as Kootenay Pass.

If you go with 17/36 your bike will do the mountains just fine.

Back