How to index the auto advance unit

OK. Had better luck in the daylight. The hole for the pin was exactly straight down and out of view, and the lighting is poor in my garage at night. Everything's in place, no problem with the seal.

As far as the instructions, you gotta realize that my engine had the Yamaha original electronic ignition. So the upper engine had none of these parts in it, and so just how the rod and advance unit and the Pamco parts went together was not apparent from the manual. I would have bought the whole kit from Mike's, but they were out, and made no indication that they intended to ever stock them again. No mention of "back ordered", just not available... I wouldn't fault Pamco at all. But i still think Mike's should have provided notes on installation. Or at least answered my email whan i asked for directions.

Thanks to all for your help.:)

I see your point Joel.. but how would mike know you were buying the advance unit intending to use it with a PAMCO, and not just buying it for your points bike as a replacement part? Either way, at least you got the help you needed now! :bike:

I make it a point to learn anything and everything about a new bike I get. I search the internet, I buy the books and manuals, I talk to owners and pick their brains. I've always been this way and done this. Years back before computers, I was stuck with just doing the last two but it worked. Now, it's so much easier with the web. With all I post, it may appear that I'm a life long 650 nut - I'm not. I've only had one for 6 or 7 years but in that time, I do think I've learned it well. Much of the knowledge and tips I pass on are just general motorcycle maintenance things. You would do the same to a Suzuki, Kawasaki, BMW, whatever. Travis is right, you won't get instructions buying parts for just about anything. But as agent Moulder used to say - "The Truth is Out There....." - you just have to be willing to put forth the effort to find it.

what happens if you run a pamco with no advance? i was for a while. what does it change? does it hurt anything?

Back