How to install BS34 Canadian Needles

TRYGAR

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, So i ordered canadian needles to replace my stock ones but when I installed them, it just didnt seem right to me. I was questioning how they are supposed to mount into the slides with the springs, washer, metal plate, etc. Does anyone have any pictures they could post for me or send me a link to a good thread.

Canadian needles seemed WAY shorter than my stock needles, even at the lowest setting they are way way shorter.

Anyway, when I put em in, my bike ran like total crap so I wanna make sure I'm putting them into the slides right.

Order I had em was as follows: Needle, clip on the needle. thin metal washer, small spring, metal "4 hole" round plate...

Youre right in the order - make sure that the little plastic spiggot drops through the slider by twiddling the needle til it seats. The "four Hole" plate is a fiddly little bugger and will only go on a certain way - check the distance from the perimeter of the plate as two are wider than the other two - once youve seen it you cant miss the tapped holes.

Start off with the needle clip in the middle and work from there with jetting etc. Check the Tech Section out for invaluable carb guides

You didn't mention the thick plastic washer that goes under the needle clip. Did you leave that out? The needle will sit too low and be too lean if you did.

80Slide.jpg

I forgot the orange colored thick plastic washer AND I didn't realize I needed the matching needle jet.:doh:

That Exploded view helps out so much, thank you for that!

I bought the Jet Needle - 5IX11 part no 40-0663 and the Needle Jet 336-Y0 for my BS34s.
The difference between the Needle Jet - Y-O in the 34's and the 336-YO is the amount of hole in the jets side.
Original Y-O has 2 sets of 3 holes and 2 sets of 4 holes on the side and the Canadian 336-YO has 2 sets of 4 holes and 2 sets of 5 holes in the side

I bought the Canadian Jets and needles before i striped my carbs and then found the BS34 carbs on our bikes here in Aus had the Canadian 336-YO as standard for here.

I compared the 5IX11 needles with the original ones and they appear to be the same length

Back