How to remove tapered head bearing races from neck?

Dave Walters

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I installed the all balls tapered bearing races into the neck on my chopper project but ended up getting a different frame.

I would like to remove the races from my old frame and install them into my new frame.

:doh: Dummy me did not grind a flat area in the bottom of the races for easier removal. They are fully seated and I am not sure how to get them out with out wrecking them. :banghead:

Any tips?

Small die grinder bit with a dremel drill and carefully take out a small bit of the lip each side under the race

Hi Dave,
for all that they take great loads, roller and ball races need to be handled with extreme care on install and removal.
Unless you are really good you have between a 50% and a 100% chance of wrecking an installed race when trying to remove it.
I'd say leave the races in your old frame where they will add to the frame's resale or future use value and buy a new set to go in your new frame.

There is a way...

Drill an angled 1/4" hole hole on both sides of the neck right where the bearing seats, drift the bearing race out with alternate light taps on a punch in the two holes. It worked for me.

Hi

I got some 1/4" hi carbon steel bar. The put a kink in it 1" from the end and ground the tip to fit the available lip. Then heated it up an quenched in oil. I've used it on four or five builds now and works well. Just gently tap all the way round.

Hi

I got some 1/4" hi carbon steel bar. The put a kink in it 1" from the end and ground the tip to fit the available lip. Then heated it up an quenched in oil. I've used it on four or five builds now and works well. Just gently tap all the way round.

Are you referring to the stock ball bearing races perhaps? This thread was talking about the roller bearing races, which do not have any available lip at all.

Back