How to replace 1980 cas tank gasket

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I was trying to start my new to me 1980 650 but it seemed gas starved as in the fuel filter was only half full and I heard what sounded like a hiss (sucking sound ) coming from the gas tank cover
Does anyone have a bit of a diagram as in how many parts to rebuild the gas tank seal
The 75 I have has 4-5 different parts to it with a spring etc.
But when I look at the diagrams for the 80 it only looks as it's just the one seal
Rather than reef on it I'd like to know how to take it apart the correct way and if there are more parts that the parts fiche shows

Attachments

• 1908 xs 650 cas cap.jpg
    1908 xs 650 cas cap.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 20-0036_xs650-gas-cap-seal_01.jpg
    20-0036_xs650-gas-cap-seal_01.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 20-0036_xs650-gas-cap-seal_02.jpg
    20-0036_xs650-gas-cap-seal_02.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 20-0036_xs650-gas-cap-seal_03.jpg
    20-0036_xs650-gas-cap-seal_03.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 119
Mike's is fine. Just put my second one on from there last year, the first one lasted since 2008.

Putting it on...once you take it apart it gets obvious how to put the gasket on...that's the part i remember, not the details :) Use a good screwdriver on the little screws, preferably a phillips bit in a hex bit handle

Have a read here Mikey. Hope you didn't order it from Mikes.
I won't order from Mike's
I need to take the cap off the bike to figure out how to take apart the seal assembly to make sure the vent hole isn't plugged

Mike's is fine. Just put my second one on from there last year, the first one lasted since 2008.

Putting it on...once you take it apart it gets obvious how to put the gasket on...that's the part i remember, not the details :) Use a good screwdriver on the little screws, preferably a phillips bit in a hex bit handle
I used a JIS screw driver and they came out nicely

From what I've been reading in prior post I need to take off the tank lock to get the gas tank seal apart and then be able to check the vent ?

Take lots of pics before and during disassembly it's bit of fun getting everything back together one of those three hands would be handy things. The pivoting catch, spring, screws is fun. And kinda clamping the cap/spring in a vice to get it apart, back together are bit of fun (invitation to launch parts to nether regions of the garage.) Nothing horrible just seems overly complicated and futzy to assemble. There's some fiber that has expanded and kinda closed of the passages, drill bits and sharp knife to open and trim away. But it's been a few years since I've done one.

Take lots of pics before and during disassembly it's bit of fun getting everything back together one of those three hands would be handy things. The pivoting catch, spring, screws is fun. And kinda clamping the cap/spring in a vice to get it apart, back together are bit of fun (invitation to launch parts to nether regions of the garage.) Nothing horrible just seems overly complicated and futzy to assemble. There's some fiber that has expanded and kinda closed of the passages, drill bits and sharp knife to open and trim away. But it's been a few years since I've done one.
Sound like sweep the floor put down a piece of carpeting to possibly catch parts first
Sounds doable
Thanks

Back