How / Why did my speedo drive gear come out?

Norton7d

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Been to busy lately to ride to even keep the battery charged, which is another subject all to itsself.
So i wanted to ride a little yesterday and before I was even in second gear, I noticed no activity with the speedometer. I figured the magnets were sticky due to lack of rides but then after going thru the gears and still no speedo, I knew sticky magnets werent the issue.
Come back and inspected speedo cable and there it was, the speedo drive gear had come out of the unit, while being attached to the cable. Only found one prior thread discussing this, seen below, although no real discussion why this would occur, broken internal clip? Isnt the end brass fitting pressed in?
Its a TX750 drive because I wanted the polishable casing, vs the stock XS unit.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/any-body-ever-seen-this-speedo-drive-gear-fell-out.55492/

Attachments

• 20210806_163434.jpg
    20210806_163434.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 174
go to mailmans XS2 restore..........he completely dismantled and rebuilt one with pics........Should be linked to on page one

Mailman, any help with what page of your countless volume of documented repairs this can be found on, would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Ok , I’m not sure if I have any useful photos for you. I did disassemble my speedo and tach, but I never removed the drive unit from either. And most of my photos of speedometer are taken from the gauge side of the meter. But all the photos I have are contained in these two threads. Maybe you can see a nugget of information in there. :shrug:

Post #162
http://www.xs650.com/threads/mailman’s-xs2-a-full-on-restoration.51520/page-9#post-542194

http://www.xs650.com/threads/1972-xs2-tachometer-repair.55901/

Thanks Mailman but I don't need to work on my gauges, my speedo drive came apart, located next to the front wheel hub, not the speedo itsself.

Haha! :laugh2: Sorry I misunderstood. Ok this was from my ‘77, the speedometer drive just pops right off when you pull your axle and front wheel off. I disassembled mine for cleaning and lube. The part you have , I don’t believe is made to come out. Maybe somebody else knows better, but I would guess it’s pressed in. I have a few photos of it but no detailed photos of the part that’s hooked up to your cable.
8E5DBFE9-CB5F-4190-9E3F-80A832AD84DA.jpeg
FCDD53B6-4D8B-4B8B-BAC4-B9CF33B8A027.jpeg
1E5F30B0-298C-412D-BC60-9A6E6ABAA502.jpeg

Thanks, thats what I thought....not repairable.
I've already ordered another one off of Ebay, which I will need to polish and clean up and lube.
Oh well...small price to pay for such a pretty bike.

Yep, I think you broke it, lol. I've never had that happen but it wouldn't surprise me on these 40+ year old parts. Luckily those nice alloy speedo drives seem to be readily available and reasonably priced. I run them on both mine. What's not so readily available is the matching alloy disc mount hole cover, they're very hard to find .....

wCTPYDS.jpg

Haha! :laugh2: Sorry I misunderstood. Ok this was from my ‘77, the speedometer drive just pops right off when you pull your axle and front wheel off. I disassembled mine for cleaning and lube. The part you have , I don’t believe is made to come out. Maybe somebody else knows better, but I would guess it’s pressed in. I have a few photos of it but no detailed photos of the part that’s hooked up to your cable.
View attachment 196196 View attachment 196197 View attachment 196198
Hey can you show pictures of how this part connects to the wheel and makes it turn? I feel like mine is missing some type of washer or something. Thanks

Back