Hughs Handbuilt PMA - bad regulator?

SOMMS

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

I have installed this kit (http://hughshandbuilt.com/shop/complete-pma-kits/) from Hugh's Handbuilt.

It comes with the PMA and regulator.

I'm getting 15V AC between each of the 3 leads coming off the PMA. However, I'm only getting 5V DC out of the regulator.

With this information can I be sure that the problem is a bad regulator? Are there any other tests I should do before getting another regulator from Hugh?

Thanks a bunch,

C

Brian, SOMMS question is about PMAs. The link you posted is all about the stock electromagnet energized alternator. so not of much help.

SOMMS should contact HHB, the seller, for advice on his product.

Retired - I have contacted Hugh but I think he must be real busy. That or the holiday season. I haven't heard back from him in awhile but I know these forums are a great source of info. I've read a number of threads on here about this setup (including the one Brian linked to) and from what I gather: 'normal' is 10-20V AC from the stator and about 15V DC out of the regulator. I was hoping to verify these are correct assumptions.

IMO checking unloaded voltage from the yellow stator leads isn't a tell all. You could still have the mag slipping on the crank and or the magnet itself has come loose and is chattering around etc. I've seen some bikes with a worn crank bearing that walked around a bit and gave some funky readings.
Standard checks are to unplug stator connector. Check plug for yellowing or melting from heat. Check each leg for continuity to ground. Should be an open. Check all three to each other for resistance. lead 1 to 2 then 1 to 3 then 2 to 3 etc. Should have minimal resistance.
Reg/rectifier- Unplug all leads. Check, if your meter has a diode selector the better, for continuity from green thru each yellow, then reverse the polarity of the meter leads. Check red thru each yellow then reverse. You'll see basically that you'll get "opens" one way and the other resistance. Readings results itself, IMO, isn't as important as all readings being in "the ball park" with each other. You'll pick up a pattern.
I'd then pull the mag making sure bolt was tight and there was no sloopiness in the bearing etc Check crank surface and mag interlocking surface. See if any of the magnets have broken etc. Be sure stator plate screws are tight and there are no discolored windings.
The first thing I always do when checking a charging system is start bike and unhook negative battery cable WHILE hooking up my amp meter in series. Don't hook your meter up in series and use the electric starter. Your meter will go up in a poof of smoke. This can be tricky because battery powered ignitions will stall and you can easily fry your meter too. I have seen systems that would put out normal voltage but produce low amps under loads.

One other thing to consider- how is the air flow over your reg/rec? I see some fellas we custom XS650 that hide them in fake oil bags etc They do get hot.

TYPICALLY, if you're getting less than battery voltage out of the rec/reg you're probably have a broken keyway, loose mag, loose stator etc

I was thinking if you had 15 volts on all three lines the problem was farther down the line and some of what that article talks about would be of use.

Chizler has some good points.

Bad grounds are big issue with electrics. Ground the rec/reg using it's mounting bolts to a known good ground.

Had an alternator that could not put out over 13 volts, turned out one cell in battery was bad, so try a different battery if possible.

Rec/reg requires a 12 volt feed, be sure it getting that.

You can use any good battery for testing, even a car battery that sitting beside the bike using jumper cables.

Only other thing, does the engine have a good ground to the frame which then should have a good ground to the battery. If not run a lead from the negative battery lead to and engine bolt.

Do a search for Hugh's posts, he may have already answered some of your questions here on another post. Ive seen questions asked of him before about the PMA.

Electrics are always fun eh!

Back