Huh?! Masterlink?!

Belle

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Is this the masterlink on the cam chain? Its hard to tell in the pix but it looks like a very small slot end & on the other side an equally small phillips head.
None of my screw drivers fit, is that what it is or, is there a special tool, is that a star nut?

BTW '76 447 cam engine
Pix--

Attachments

• #1 022.jpg
    #1 022.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 96
  • #1 023.jpg
    #1 023.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 88
Nevermind baby, I got it. Time for a well deserved beer!

Pix--

Attachments

• #1 024.jpg
    #1 024.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 88
  • #1 025.jpg
    #1 025.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 76
  • #1 027.jpg
    #1 027.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 91
  • #1 028.jpg
    #1 028.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 84
  • #1 031.jpg
    #1 031.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 98
Yes that appears to have been a link put on, but the original cam chain in the XS650 was 'endless' i.e. no master link. In order to install an endless cam chain you need to dismantle the engine and fit it over one end of the crank etc.

So that cam chain has likely been replaced at some point in the past.

Well I popped it at a different place than those funny pins, might be able ta use it again, seemed good & tight, but maybe I'm heading into the cases anyway.

The XS is pretty simple to break down - I did my first one a few months ago and was surprised at how easy it all was to sort out.

I wouldn't use the same cam chain again - not really worth it. And don't buy cam chains from MikesXS. Some of the pricing there makes no sense. I bought 2 endless cam chains on Amazon for $26 each.

http://www.amazon.com/Tsubaki-Hi-Performance-Cam-Chain-BS05M-106/dp/B000GZN9UW

Yes, that was the factory master link in your 1st set of pics. The 650s all had master links as far as I know, not endless chains. Grind the pins flush like so and simply tap the link out with a pin punch, no press or fancy tool needed .....

nRdWnsc.jpg

Last edited:
I would use a specific cam chain. This is a highly stressed part. If it fails it will most likely take your motor with it. Cut corners someplace else but not here. Paint your bike with a brush or something, lol.

From what I understand (per 3M) cut chains are no longer available.
The number subs to a newer endless chain.
But you can get the master links and seperate the endless chain so you don't
have break the cases.

Was thinking ta use a link from the TSC right size just not the hardness--besides I'm gonna break the egg open anyway. I wanted ta salvage it but couldn't find an appropriate tool ta open the factory master link (why I broke it after the factory master link). Its a chance & I might take it--but some of the guys have way better info than I do & its good ta...know...right.

the chain in 5twins' post is a D.I.D. That's a good quality chain. You don't want to go cheap on a cam chain. If you have ever broken one, and heard the "death crunch" you will never consider a bargain chain again. Ugly, ugly noise, and some how manged to get the big 3: Head, bottom cases, and crank. Another one bites the dust!

I've just spent--like--the last three hrs staring at this screen trying to figure out why I should be rethinking my actions

Ya'all being a little pushy? I like a little pushy.

Don't ask now, I'll show ya'all later.

I've just spent--like--the last three hrs staring at this screen trying to figure out why I should be rethinking my actions

Ya'all being a little pushy? I like a little pushy.

Don't ask now, I'll show ya'all later.

I think I need to drink a few more beers to understand all of that.

Back