I can't believe this

Corndog

Kick it over!
Reaction score
So basically I took my carbs off to Adress the idle issue I was having. Upon further inspection I found the previous owner had two different sized mains in the carbs and one pilot clogged. I couldn't get the other pilot out because this...

Somehow that thing snapped off the tip of an easy out and now I'm left with a non running machine

Just thought you guys would get a kick out of this. My first xs, first post on here.
20170812_133536.jpg

OUCH ! man that is just plane RUDE isn't it !!!! that isn't an easy fix unfortunately ! but when that happened to me on a diferent bike I drilled a 1/8" hole through the pilot jet or what ever it's called and finally got it out with a easy out... it buggered up the threads a bit so I was real real careful with that carb after that !
you might try a but of heat from a hot air gun to expand the aluminum
good luck !
Bob......

I have heated it, I have gone through three drill bits trying to drill out the hardened tip of that easy out I just ended up doing more harm than good to that housing. So I guess my next question for everybody would be which carb should I go to next because I hate these CV carbs

Hi Corndog - that is definitely a PITA - what a nasty find.

Short of EDM, I don't see how you'll get that old tap out. Others may differ, but IMO, the BS38 is a good unit and so before going to the pain and expense of switching carbs, I'd try to get another BS38 body to work with.

Since you're in Michigan, I'd recommend a visit to Eastern Michigan Cycle up in Yale MI, near the Bluewater Bridge across from Sarnia. EMC is an old fashioned MC salvage yard that really does have acres of stuff you can pick through. I was there in March for some stuff and they seemed to have a lot of XS650 engine parts around.

I'm certain they'll have a decent BS38 carb body you can get to start over with. The folks were nice to deal with and so I would take along a couple of tools so you can check it there.

Pete

Hmmmm....I can't tell from your photo, but I dont think that it really matters: 34 or 38.

I think that Yamaha switched from 38 to 34 in...'1980 (?) to meet EPA emissions standards, but as far as I know, they're interchangeable (IN PAIRS) although, you'd also need to switch the manifolds and maybe even the airboxes.

You really need to tell us the year of the bike. Also, BS38 carbs have alloy top caps, while all the 34s I've seen have chromed caps on the vacuum chamber.

Pete

heck Message gggGary he might be able to hook you up with carbs !
I have on many occasions broken off easy outs... I hate them they always brake on me ! anyway to make a long story short I can usually get them out by using a sharpened phillips screwdriver or awl and tap the point in next to the hard metal of the easy out.... this sometimes takes several tries, but eventually it will pop up a bit and you can grab it with fine needle nose plyers... but in that recess you may have to keep tapping it till it just falls out ....I drive the awl or screw driver into the edge where the easy out bites into the metal not the outside edge of the hole that was drilled ... the idea is to swell the metal under neath the top surface to bring up the easy-out....
works for me and in the course of history it's only failed me about 2 times in my life out of dozens of times doing it !!!!!!
....you need a good hard Icepick or awl or a skinny phillips with a long tapered point on it used for scratching stuff....
I've even used a chainsaw file ground to a long thin point and cooled in water frequently so as not to over heat it ....
but ware your safety classes...... if that tip should brake off it can become a bullet into the eye ! not a fun time !
Bob......

You do have BS34 carbs, C'dog. To switch to BS38 you'd need new mounts as well, and there's no guarantee that you'd be better off as far as condition is concerned. I have a few BS34 carb bodies lying around. Let me know which side you need, and if I have a good one it's yours for the postage. If you want to get away from vacuum carbs, VM34 is the usual choice; lots of bang for the buck. You'd be money ahead to get a kit with good baseline jetting from a reputable vendor like Michael Morse of 650 Central or Gary Hoos of Hoos Racing.

Jeez, you guys got busy while I was typing! FYI, Pete, in BS 38 carbs the main and pilot jets are seated in the float bowl. In the BS34 they seat in the carb body (pilot) and bottom of the needle jet (main). (Note: The above refers only to XS650 carburetors. Earlier BS34's installed on XS360, XS400, and others were built to the same pattern as the BS38).

Last edited:
Well I am looking to rephase and street rod the motor this winter... I heard vm34 was the way to go but I'm new to the 650 game lol its a 1980 xs650 special and the carbs have the chrome lid with mains in the body

Well there ya go... Grizld1 offered you a carb body just for the postage ! you can't beat a deal like that !
Good man Griz ! my hat's off to you !
Bob........

A lot of guys like the TM flat slides. Guys have reported jetting that's identical to what works in the XS650. You might reconsider the rephaseob. It will just move the vibration around, you won't eliminate it. If you want vibration control, forget about the high dollar stuff like rephase and dynamic balancing (which again only moves the vibration). Have the crank broken down, then balance rods and pistons for matched weight and have the crank carefully trued and tack welded. Yamaha spec. allows up to .002" of runout, as measured at the crankshaft, and I've seen many that were well outside that number. A pro can eliminate measurable runout at the shaft and give you .002" at the edges of the flywheels.

PM (personal message) him and get ready to send him money !....
fairly simple !
keep us posted please ! I wann'a know if ya get that beast running ! LOL
Bob...........

Back