I have been lurking long enough

Makr

I make my own rules
Reaction score
Hopefully I can show you some appreciation for some of the stuff I have gleaned from this site.

I started with this fine one owner.

100_0178.jpg

Cut the back of the frame off. Added an rz swingarm and shock linkage. I will retain the linkage, but it will be an aluminum swing arm in the end. Maybe clunky fz, or I just may make one.

100_0241.jpg

I made a form for the bum stop and tank I will fabricate out of aluminum sheet. This beating metal is all new to me, so I am struggling with the complex shape of the tank. I started with 5052 aluminum sheet and finally gave up and bought some 3003 hoping it make it easier. The 5052 seemed to only form in one plane. I am a noob to this. Anyone have any suggestions in this field please feel free to criticize me. I have been using a shot bag and hammer. I think I will build a simple English wheel with vice jaws, using the vise as an adjustment.

100_0301.jpg

I put zx636rr front forks on. Made the seat pan, and roughed the rear "tins".

100_0435.jpg

Painted the engine. Finished the clip ons. I need to figure out a master cylinder for the clutch.

Picture003.jpg

Machined a front motor mount.

Picture004-1.jpg

Got the cylinders on last night. Forgot the o-rings so I had to pull it apart again to put them on. :doh: I will mount the hydraulic slave tomorrow.

Picture008-1.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

Picture010.jpg

I like this site, and have enjoyed the builds going on here. Lots of inspiration.

The final finish in my mind will be black, and matte aluminum. Although that may change tomorrow as I am usually given shit for my Easter egg colored bikes and may need to paint it purple with bunnies on it.. haha

Thank you!

Awesome build. I love the fact that your workshop looks like the interior of a home. :)
The yellow bike in the background looks like a work of art.

Last edited:
So ill be the first to ask, how much for a front motor mount? That is a piece of art!

I too agree with the rest of the Guys nice work Bro! :cheers:
is the front mount steal or aluminum? i love the inside workshop too.
I have built a couple small block v8s in the living room myself.:D. keep the pix a commin,Ed

Nice build but how to you plan on re-reinforcing the pivot point of the swing arm? That point is the major weak link to the evil handling of the XS.

Nice work! I really want to do a monoshock myself, so I'll definitely be following this.

Is that a Yamaha RZ? A 350 or 500? It looks like it dropped right into the swingarm pivot, you just had to bolt on the shock mount, am I right? Will that swingarm work for a stock size wheel?

I am carbon, it is aluminum.

Jkrenzel, I made the triples so I am not sure how the stock ones would swap.

Jack, I tied it in to the center tube. Not sure how it will handle all of the load of the rear. I am asking a lot from that bit of tubing to handle the shock and the twisting of the rear assembly. It has pained me greatly. We will see.

100_0242.jpg

Kups, thanks they are fake. haha The yellow bike is my land speed bike. Hopefully will be setting some new records this year. Really what I spend most of my free time working on.

Crash, Yes Yamaha rz350. The swing arm is a little wide at the pivot point, so it would need a little trimming, but other than that a easy swap. The RZ swingarm at the wheel mounting point is .15 wider than the stock so I think it would fit fine. It is longer. You are just in Provo if you want to measure it I am only a few miles away.

Jamesgs4, I have a ton of time in machining the front motor mount. I would make you one but the price may be prohibitive.Thank you for the compliment!

Hogrider, I am not sure, but it will have spokes. I have been playing with some Suzuki GS wheels that will get aluminum rims. I have also been thinking about making my own. It is getting to the point where I need to move on that part though.

Jack, I have been thinking about your post and will need to tie it into the frame elsewhere. Just not sure how. Any ideas?

I got the top end partially wrapped up today. YAY!

Picture015.jpg

Back