I know this ad did it for you

chopit25

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I know this ad got a lot of you guys into the yammies!
uploadfromtaptalk1379196920344.jpg

My first bike and first Yamaha. A 1966 100cc Twin Jet I bought in 1970.

Still have one of the pistons from it in my junk box.

twinjet.jpg

My first bike was a 1961 Jawa Californian. Second bike was a 1967 Yamaha 180 twin. Very fast little street bike. 160 Hondas didn't have a chance.

No actually an ad like this did it for me. my first Yamaha was a endure 360.
That bike was damn near unstoppable even up and down mountain sides good.I spent thousands of hours riding that bike

My first bike was a Kawasaki KV-75, but I saw my XS while I was getting brake shoes and 2-stroke oil for it. Yes, MY current XS. My cousin bought the bike new and had it 2 years before dad bought it from him. Both of my brothers have kept it for a time, and now it's mine.
Then:
1976_KV75_A5_Kawasaki_08.jpg

My color too! Big brother still has that one.

Now:
DSC00298_zps688a97db.jpg

Back in '77 or so a mid 60's Honda CB77 was my first bike. Never got to ride it. First Yamaha was a mid 70's XS 650 about in '88. I liked the bike but traded it for a VW bug about a year or so later. I missed that bike for years. About 3 yrs ago I had an opportunity to purchase this '80 SG and jumped on it. I'm VERY happy with it! Right now it's in pieces getting mods done to it. Making it a highway cruiser. Check out "Makeing my SG better".

First bike (other than lawnmower minibikes) was a 1969 Honda Mini Trail 50. Like this one, right down to the colors and the round tank badge (1968-1969 only, 1968's did not have lights, the '69 was the only year with both lights and the round tank badge).

honda-z50-k1-minitrail-50-1-5752.jpg

I rode Hondas SL's/XL's for years after that, then made side forays into a Seca 750, a TT250G and finally a TT600 which was a turd. Went back to Hondas and then Yamaha released the YZ400, I rode one and was immediately hooked.

This is the bike that got me into Yamahas. Its a 1967 305 cc scrambler. Its not the exact bike, but its the same model I had.

I bought it in 1974 IIRC. Engine and a few other parts were in pieces. Crankshaft needed new seals, and I put in new pistons with a re-bore. I real fun bike!

Attachments

• 1967 305 Scrambler YM2C.jpg
    1967 305 Scrambler YM2C.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 88
my best friend growing up had an RT360. I loved that bike! Wish I could find an affordable one now. I started on a '79 Suzuki PE250. Fun bike, but nothing but problems.

I remember an article written about the Suzuki PE's; I forget who was the factory enduro rider (but I think it was Dave Fredette), he said in the article that Suzuki sent a couple of engineers with the first bikes so they could help him get it set up. It seemed the front end had so much rake that it just would not turn so he hacksawed the frame just behind the steering neck, then forced the forks back till he got it where he wanted it and welded it back up. He said the engineers were horrified. :laugh:

That's racing! Colin Edwards had a revelation with the RC51 in 2002 when he went out on a bike to qualify after a horrendous practice weekend and cut a second and a half off his lap times. According to him, it was the first time in 5 races he felt what the front was doing. Crew Chief Adrian Ghorst had left a mount bolt out of the engine, and it allowed some flex back into the frame that brought the bike around. They left it out the rest of the season. Go to Youtube and check out World Superbike 2002 races 1 and 2 from Imola, Italy for the best superbike races I've ever seen, and they were for all the beans too. Classic stuff.

No actually an ad like this did it for me. my first Yamaha was a endure 360.
That bike was damn near unstoppable even up and down mountain sides good.I spent thousands of hours riding that bike

rt360.jpg

The first bike I ever owned with any balls: A '72 RT360. Lots and LOTS of fun with that one! That's me on the left, about to depart on a trip around the northern tip of the main island of Japan.

Come to think of it, that was also my first Yamaha. Not my last by a long shot tho.

My 1st bike was a 1967 Yamaha 305, not the scrambler. It was a little screamer and the 1st year I was so hooked I rode all winter if the road was dry. Snowmobile attire.

Guy who worked for my dad had a RT1 360, he stuck a Hooker expansion chamber and a Wiseco high compression head on it. One day he was starting it on the side of a trail, it kicked back and even with work boots it broke his instep.

Sorry guys it was the Norton ads that got my interest...
And money, 5 (used) Nortons back in the day.

663888344_o.jpg

Even a high rider could be attractive in the right company.

Back