i need advice on custom frame titles!

txchainsawgogi

XS650 Member
Reaction score
so i recently acquired a custom frame from voodoo vintage here in austin texas (you can view that here) and im thinking it might be easier to salvage a VIN plate/# off a donor frame. the only problem is, xs 650 frames arent terribly easy to find here in austin. i guess it wouldnt really NEED to be another xs… would it?

either way… where would i find such a thing? CL seems so hit or miss lately and i really need to get riding again ASAP!!!

any help would be appreciated. feel free to email me too. texaschainsawgogi@gmail.com

heres the first mock up i have of my bike(keep in mind its just to give me a rough idea of where im going with it, things are going to probably change!).

some bits are from mike's, some bits are from limey bikes(local), the frame obviously is from voodoo vintage

tank is from a wrecked harley
seat handmade
fender hand rolled(not by me)
random NOS parts off ebay

i've been trying my hand at airbrushing/metal flake...the paint looks a lot better in day light!

BIKE3.jpg

get ahold of voodoo vintage and ask them how to get your frame titled. no reason you should be freaking out about a title when a business built you a frame.

Big custom parts like that should com with a MSO (manufacture statement of origin) If the frame co. is still in business, call them,and see if they can help.

Normally if a business builds a frame they need to give you a "Certificate of Origin". This shows a couple things about the vehicle and you can go to the DMV and get a title. It's kind of like the "first" or "general" title.
It's used until a vehicle is titled to a specific person for the first time.

Many states now require this to decide how to tag vehicles as well. Example's would be the 50cc or under scooter rule. If it's 50cc or under, in some states, you do not need a motorcycle license. It can be tagged as a scooter or moped. However, the Honda Rukus, for example, exceeds the states minimum braking horsepower rule even though it is only 50cc. This braking horsepower rate is stated on the Certificate of Origin. So, you would need a motorcycle license to operate it on roads.

I would ask them if they offer one and, I think, if they build a motor vehicle for use on DOT roads and this vehicle is being sold to a buyer for the intention of making a road use vehicle, as a business, they need to provide one. Or get it titled for you and offer that. Especially since they are in the same state.

Frame should have came with MSO and if not the only correct way to do it is see if the state you live in has a recon program or a vintage program. Some states offer titles with number if bike is over 20 years old but since you bought a custom frame it may not apply.I have done 100's of titles over the 35+ years of building bikes and there is really no easy way . Some states just require a vin number here in NJ they are looking for a 17 didgit number but they just got a little easy on bikes over 20 years old with the 9 digit numbers . Punching numbers in just don't cut it anymore and buying a plate on ebay and smacking it on the neck also may get you into big trouble some of the new laws in states are fedral and you can get into big trouble and loose bike and charged with vehicle theif. I would first contact the vendor you bought the frame from.
You can do whatever you want but i have seen guys loose bikes because someone told them just punch the number in and no problem. If i am having a frame done from someone i send them a donor frame with good number to use .

well i know i could go the manufacturer's number route from voodoo, but in texas i'm essentially filing for a lost title. i just thought it might be a little easier getting a number from an already titled beat up old frame.

decided to track down a titled vin# headstock and just do a title transfer into my name… way cheaper than a lost title/bonded title b.s.

Back