I need good LED bulbs

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have bought cheap crap bulbs 4 for a buck with like a 2 yr warranty and if you bitch they will give you a $5.00 gift card to Ace Hardware ( bulbs were Sylvania ) they know I'll get sick of bitching (which I have )
I have paid 6-7 dollars for what at first seem to be great floodlight bulbs for the shop but with pretty light usage they may last I don't know 8 months
And I have also bought the 3 blade LED bulbs which "seem " to be doing better ??
https://www.amazon.com/Equivalent-D...de=df0&hvadid=242023504538&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hv

Anybody have a line on something worthwhile buying I know you get what you pay for but this is just getting stupid for me
I having the same problem with basic LED bulbs throughout the house too
Maybe I need to start scarfing up all the old incandescent light bulbs I can find and say screw it :banghead:

Attachments

• 3 blade bulbs.jpg
    3 blade bulbs.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
"One of the biggest advantages of LED light fixtures, is their extended lifespan. While incandescent light bulbs were built to last around 1,000 hours, the most enduring LED light fixtures have been tested to last as long as 100,000 hours. On average LED light bulbs will not have to be changed for at least 20 years." :laughing::laughing:
Yeah right
" most enduring" WTF
I like how you look in that fixture babe Nice Lumens WOW

I'm with you Mikey! We need to know who makes truly long-lasting LEDs. I have bought name brand and no-name brand with equally dismal longevity results. Recommendations, anyone?

From experience I changed all the incandescent lights in my retail shop for cheap G9 LED like the ones below:

led2.PNG

These work out at £1.20 each. Wire contact is poor and the bulbs failed within a few months.

I now pay the extra and changed to better more expensice bulb. After 5 years they are still going with no more replacements so far.
My shop window lights are on 24-7 too!
led1.PNG

At offer price of £2.29 each they are more money. The contacts are metal blades and a better push fit than previous ones.
The moral is you get what you pay for!

I bought a couple of sets of “petal” LED lights from Amazon for my garage. Cheap things but they are still working well. They are less than a year old and when I bought them I did so with the understanding that you get what you pay for. If they fail within a couple of years of purchase I won’t be too disappointed, but I expect they should last a while due to the frequency of use. They might be turned on less than once per day.

Like these. I think I paid $40 / pair

AF0B87F9-0232-4A1E-B5A8-9B8B6236838A.png

Attachments

• light bulb.jpg
    light bulb.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 24
Went to Batteries / Bulbs Plus and they had these
https://www.batteriesplus.com/product-details/led/bulb/duracell-ultra/led12375
  • Duracell Ultra LED light bulbs come with a 5-year warranty. :laughing:
  • Average Rated Hours:15000
  • So in the 5 year time period I can have them on 4.10958.... hours per day :umm:
  • At least with Batterie's Plus I can return them to the store which is close to home
  • And now one of many videos showing how to repair an LED
  • I gotta try and do it with out electrocuting my self
  • I know cheap dumb ass ( now go back to finishing your bike or do something constructive at least )

I have 3 75watt (equivilancy) outdoor floods in the soffit over my garage doors. I have changed 1 since May 2018 and they are on all night long.
I have the same bulbs in my basement rec room/bar since Summer 2020 and 2 of the 8 are now dead. That room has my laptop, my TV and sound system, my stationary bike and ahem, my bar, so that room gets used alot. My garage, 3 bays, has 8 4foot long dual tube led strips installed during the build that have not need replacing since 2018.

Should I buy a lottery ticket?

Kevin what brand are you using
Just curious
And maybe a lottery ticket might not be a bad idea just in case those LEDs start to crap out on you

Kevin what brand are you using
Just curious
And maybe a lottery ticket might not be a bad idea just in case those LEDs start to crap out on you
I have Fiet, Sylvania,etc. Really a mix. The shop 4ft led tubes are a Menards purchase. My house has all recessed cans in the living area. I have 8 75watt floods there and replaced 2 since May 2018. I go for the cheap ones generally.

I have 8 of these in my three bay garage,
I was running out of build money or I would have done 10 or 12 in my 3 bay garage. They were ~$46 each at the time when LEDs were coming down in price. Post COVID the price may have risin. These, from Menards,were installed spring 2018 , are on often, and knock on wood,show no signs of failing.
16961273776336937706136547365693.jpg
16961268095688435484123374995722.jpg

I have fixtures mounted on the ceiling to screw in floodlights or watever but each fixture also has a plug on the side so converting over should be easy
Thanks !!

I decided to try and repair a few of the floodlights that quit on me
Theres a lot of ideas on YouTube so I tried the one using solder seeing I had some on hand
First I put my angle grinder in the vice and used it to cut off the tops
Then I put the bulb in a rigged up socket that I made and on one you could see a small dot in one of the led cells
I used a utlity knife to scrape of the top coating and ran solder from one side to the other of that cell and it worked
On the other one I just took a tweezers that I wrapped in electrical tape and touched the sides of each cell until it lit up so them I knew which one to scrape and solder
Caution when you do the tweezer thing and it lights up since your standing right over it you will get LED flash not as bad as a welder but you won't see right for awhile
Anyway it can be done and I just used caulking to put the tops back on
If you don't scrape the top of the bad cell decently the solder won't stick and the goo from the cell will run down and cover up the sides so it can't be fixed

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 23
Went to Batteries / Bulbs Plus and they had these
https://www.batteriesplus.com/product-details/led/bulb/duracell-ultra/led12375
  • Duracell Ultra LED light bulbs come with a 5-year warranty. :laughing:
  • Average Rated Hours:15000
  • So in the 5 year time period I can have them on 4.10958.... hours per day :umm:
  • At least with Batterie's Plus I can return them to the store which is close to home
  • And now one of many videos showing how to repair an LED
  • I gotta try and do it with out electrocuting my self
  • I know cheap dumb ass ( now go back to finishing your bike or do something constructive at least )
That video is a fire waiting to happen.

Very often the thing that fails is the driving circuit. LEDs are VERY consistent and if an LED fails, the whole product was Crap designed to begin with.

Yeah there are lot of crazy ideas out there
That's why I went with using solder

Back