HEADLIGHT: Parabolic reflector and lens type vs the bulb.

Jeeter

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've done some research here amongst the forum as well as actually ventured beyond this backyard out to the big scary internet on the LED lighting systems that are so popular these days. I'm well aware of how efficient the lowly LED is due to my line of work (I use them in nearly every device I build for both illumination and as components within audio circuits). So I'm ~kinda~ familiar with LEDs and I think that they are actually the future of the modern/current civilization (right up there with L-Ion batts). Key word there being "efficiency".

So I've sniffed around here for info regarding the use of LEDs as headlights. Lots of dope on the subject, but something that seems to be missing is the importance of a good (more like as good as you can afford to own) parabolic reflector as well as good of a lens as you can afford. These two things alone may actually improve your lighting more than going to LEDs (or HID, Halogen, everwhat) depending on what you're upgrading from. If your current reflector and lens are total poo, then spending money on LEDs (et al) will be a 100% pointless effort.

One of the little personal preference tricks I've employed on some of my streetbikes is to use an H4 bulb. Not just any H4 though, I used 55/100 watt H4s made by Hella. The low beam was a safe/sane/legal 55 watts. High beam was a vey illegal 100 watts. I would also change the reflector and lens to Hella units as well (Sportster light buckets use what used to be "standard" sealed beam sizes, so any lighting setups designed for 6 inch buckets would fit inside the stock headlight cans).

This is when I learned about lens types. What I did not know is that there are actually large differences between car lenses and bike lenses. Each lens is clearly marked with a European standardization code (I think one of the codes was something like "E4" which I think was a bike lens ... I may be wrong there, it's been many years since I messed with this stuff. I fully intend on sharpening my product knowledge up on this stuff again before I spend any money on a lighting system).

Anyhow, I did a lot of empirical testing with various combinations of lightbulb types and power, lens types, and reflector types over the course of a number of years. Where I live there are desert highways that are as black as the blackest pitch-tar you've ever seen, especially when there's no moon. Three hours may pass before you see another set of headlights from either direction out there sometimes. So I have the perfect testing facility for many night time tests and activities. I tested a number of lens types, and none of the auto-type lenses worked very well. They are very specific for use on either the right or left side of the vehicle. The same with reflectors. I ended up actually preferring the KC Daylighter bucket used with the Hella reflector and the Hella 55/100 H4.

But what was such a surprise was how much the change of reflector and or lens had an affect on the quality and usefulness of the light, no matter which bulb (or how powerful the bulb) that I used. Changing lenses had a far greater impact on the length and spread of the light on dark highways than changing bulb types did, there's no doubt about that. And the quality of the reflector had a MAJOR impact on how "good" the light was.

I also raced SCORED (off road/desert racing) in Class 3 (103.5 inch 4WDs) and Class 4 (104 inch wheelbase 4wds) in races such as the Mint 400, Barstow to Vegas, as well as the Baja 500 and Baja 1000. I built my own trucks (of course with much help from friends and the local fender lizards) and the lighting systems were highly important (no kidding, right?). I mean romping across open desert at over 75mph AT NIGHT is a thrilling experience. But them lights gots-ta be RIGHT. So we did a lot of experimenting with them in those days as well. Same results. Reflectors, lenses, more important than bulbs.

OK, now listen, I have been out of this stuff for literally decades. All of it, motorcycles, off-road racing, whatever. So I am aware that MUCH has changed since 1994. That said, what I've talked about here is basically a collection of my old dust-covered recollections. If there are new and better ideas and ways of doing things, PLEASE let me know. I'm not trying to say I am the Mighty Mighty Jeeter who knows all, sees all, and has done all. I'm trying to explain what I already know so that I can be updated or educated. :)

Anyhow, I've just noticed a lack of discussion regarding the importance of a good parabolic reflector (no scratches or defects on it, no rust or other poo on it, no defects in the plating of it) and a good lens as well as the correct lens, and that all of the importance should not be placed on only the bulb.

BUYERS BEWARE!

A quick note on lenses: It would do many of us well to learn-up on the lens types. I've seen any number of Cibie lights marketed as "motorcycle headlights" on places such as eBay. In reality these lights are actually CAR lights that someone has either stuffed in some motorcycle headlight bucket or is selling the reflector/bulb assembly as a bike light, when in fact it's a car light. The lenses are TOTALLY different between car lights and bike lights. Just so you know.

Thanks for your time. :)

Good thread. Also am interested in LED offerings and the lens/reflector system.
Currently making do with a H6024 auto bulb in the stocker. Yes, the pattern isn't correct, too much horizontal spray, and the hi-beam left-offset is just something to live with.

The other bike has a totally disassemble/serviceable lens/reflector system, so I can clean and polish if necessary. But, it uses obsolete bulbs (I have 10 spares), not conducive to cross-country security. Would like to convert it to LED, but that won't work well since reflector design is not appropriate for LED.

So, I'll sit in the corner and watch...

Did you get anywhere with this? I would like a good LED headlight recommendation too. I found this: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/49672/i/kuryakyn-phase-7-led-headlight-7
But can't tell if it is something that drops into a headlight bucket or if it is a stand-alone. I'd like to preserve the look of my bike as much as possible, but have a modern, low draw LED light.

Wow..................$269.99 for a headlight:yikes:and :eek:

IIRC I paid $17.00, at Walmart, for my present headlight sealed beam. It does a fine job, for the very few times I drive in the dark.

I'm waiting for LED headlights to get down to $20.00, at which time I would be a buyer.

I'm with RG on this one. At this time LED headlights are way out of my price range.
I run a Candle power headlight, the reflector and lens are a one piece unit that uses an H4 bulb.
I like it, it puts more of the light out front where you need it, not up in the trees or down around your toes.
On low beam it has a spot of light up and too the right so it lights up the side of the road and sidewalk area. This lets you see people or animals a bit sooner.
They come in the 7 inch units to replace the stock bulb in our headlight buckets. They also come in the 5 1/2 inch size for the smaller buckets like Harley uses.
Leo

Yeah lets keep this going. I threw an HID bulb in an XS1100 reflector (H4 bulb) and was impressed with how much light it put on the garage wall but that's about as far as it went, the HID ballast I had was just to big to hide in the 650 HL can with that larger HID bulb and connector. XS650's use sealed beam headlights so you have change those parts pronto. On a modern bike forum guys were changing to new tech bulbs and thought they were happy till they went around a corner, the more focused light source had a much stronger "cutoff" line, Get leaned into a corner and the road ahead goes black!

gggGary I think that was the fault of the headlight shell you used. The HID wasn't located in the right position for best results in that shell. A lot of those HID bulbs are not for bike lighting. Car headlights have different needs. The reflectors and lens are different.
Leo

So I checked ebay and there's a hella with a standard fluted lens and there is another hella with a clear flat area in the lens. The fluted lens says motorcycle on it, would that be the better one? I really need help riding at night in the mountains and I'm considering a big ass light on my helmet like the off road bike racers

I wonder what you would get if you chuck something like this in a standard reflector for an H4 bulb? looks like you will eliminate the function of the stock reflector. Guess I would want something as a back up light source if this thing goes black out of the blue.

I've tried a couple of those LED replacement bulbs in my V Star, though not the one you mentioned. The result was very poor. If you shine the stock light on a wall you get a nice sharp cutoff line but not so with the LED. The light is scattered all over the place. This produces a lot of glare to oncoming drivers. If you read some of the lighting forums they seem to prefer a hid projector retrofit kit. It's a lot more work and still not cheap at about $150 for a kit, but you get a great light, good cutoff and lower amp draw. The downside is you have to disassemble the lens from the reflector to get the projector in and have to have room for the whole assembly.

Back