I need pictures of kickstands...for reference

havok

Advanced Learner
Reaction score
Just what the title says.
I'm looking for pictures of some stock or other kickstands for ideas...
I just got done welding all my tabs and realized I still have the stock kickstand location.
Isn't a bad thing, I'm hoping to be able to use the stock kickstand.
But I think I cut off the hook for the frame spring mount.
&$@%!!
:doh:
So any help/pictures from you guys would be great.
There's none in my clymers manual...

I gotta get this frame done and ready for paint!

Thanks Tee, but I can't see the underside (which is where I need to look)
Guess I gotta find someone to take a picture or I gotta find a bike somewhere.

Awesome looking bike though!
Real nice motor and paint work there...

I have a hard time believing that out of everything I can fix, a kickstand isn't one of them. Pretty basic concept, I know...but I'm trying not to buy anything else.
This kickstand got me.
It's got me real good.

Thanks.

what year is the bike? if its a 77+ there is no place for the spring to connect to the frame. instead there is a tab with a spring mount that gets bolted in by the bolt you use to secure the kickstand

37-0015.jpg

Its a 1977.

You are a genius and that picture makes perfect sense.
I am missing that piece, which is why I can't mount it.
Either I'm gonna have to find it, or make one, or buy one...

Talk about a solution!

Ah, I understand what you were after now. Glad someone could help you!

(Oh, thanks, btw. The paint on those tins is original, though... I can't take credit for that. And I've just cleaned up a PO's work on the motor.)

TC

while we're on the subject, are there any differences on the kickstands between the years?
I put my '79 special stand on a '77 standard frame, and the bike is right tippy. If I cut the wheel to the right, it's just balancing on a hair. Wondering if I didn't mount it right or something, but it seemed like it could only really go one way.

Yes the kickstand only mounts one way.
But if it's "tippy", it might be because the kickstand is longer than the original.
Even if it's by a 1/4" it will throw off the tilt.

You could always heat it up and bend it out to give it proper lean.

Although I didn't think there was much difference between the two.

When assembled, the post goes up. The loose end of the spring also goes up .....

SidestandMount.jpg

I don't think the stand length ever changed. If yours is too long or too short, it may be related to suspension changes you've made. I put longer rear shocks on mine which made the stand too short. I had to lengthen it slightly by welding some plate to the bottom of the foot .....

ModdedSideStand.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the help; I think mine is a tad long for whatever reason...I'll probably bend it as suggested or maybe grind some off the "heel" depending on how much needs to come off.

If you've installed longer than stock rear shocks, that will happen. Also, sometimes the mounting post gets bent. Easiest solution is to weld some plate to the bottom of the stand "foot" .....

ModdedSideStand.jpg

Back