I need some bleeping help!!

GBGRIDER

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, to start off i have a 1981SH. I rebuilt the whole thing in made it into a custom bobber. I ran it for a few hundred miles with no problems. One day i went to start it up and it was at a very low idle then all the sudden it came back to life. Next time i try to start it nothing happens at all. Did some trouble shooting and concluded the my TCI ignition failed on me. Since i heard such great things about the Pamco ignition i decided to go with it. I finally get all my parts, put everything in got the timing down mint. The thing ran like a champ!....The next day i went out for a ride next thing you know im at a stop sign and my bike idles low and then dies on me. I was able to i restarted it and nursed it all the way home spitting and popping along the way. Next thing you know the bike doesn't start anymore. When kicking it over all it does is pop flames out the exhaust and carb. Can anyone help me? I also heard pinging coming from the top end when i was nursing it home.:wtf:
-Carb is Clean
-Spark is good
-It's getting fuel
-Good compression
-Timing is good

not to be a dick, but if it was making a funny noise, you should not have ridden it.

the pinging noise could have been evidence of severe overheating, underlubrication or other similar issues.

you need to take a look at your valves etc. borrow a scope camera and stick it in the clinders and rotate the engine - take a look at your cam and see if you've got overheating marks.

I completely agree with sgallaty, the pingin is very bad, on any engine if your hear pinging u want to check everything it may be until u solve the problem and i wouldnt start it cause you may do more damage than you may already have!

These are tough as hell engines, jsut saying in the future if you ever hear a different noise, stop (unless you're looking for a greater challenge) =)

check your oil and look for a burnt smell, too. If it was overheated, change it.

Btw my buddy dogbunny made a badass temperature dipstick out of a meat thermometer he somehow attached to a dipstick plug hole. He's a clever little weasel. Maybe he'll show a picture of it here.

Compression next would be my next step, maybe start thinking about a sticking valve.

On youtube I watch videos of different XS650's. Seems some have a tapping, some don't. Not a ping or knocking but a tapping. Mine taps. Just wanted to make sure it's not an issue. Oil is good, that's as far as I have gotten in checking.

Did the timing plate slip? tension springs come loose? Nut holding the advancer plate back off? It kinda sounds like it's at full advance.

I dont see any thing wrong with the advance unit at all. What are the chances of the pamco unit going bad so quick? im very puzzled with this problem i'm about to rip this engine apart again...............grrr this got me soo angry:banghead:

Is it sparking on both sides and is the spark in time? What coil are you running? Some of the high energy coils have such a high voltage it can find an alternate path to ground. more than one XS650 rider with a hot coil has gotten a rude shock from his gas tank.

Yea i got both plugs with good spark and i am running the stock tci coil. I just notice that one of my spark plug caps are reading very high ohms on them maybe this is the problem!? They are supposed to be 1k caps but it reads much higher.

Just to be straight with you. I have a Pamco (in a box on the shelf) Haven't found the bike that needs it "yet". Well get rid of the bad cap, clean the plugs, try again. Have you checked timing?

Is it sparking on both sides and is the spark in time? What coil are you running? Some of the high energy coils have such a high voltage it can find an alternate path to ground. more than one XS650 rider with a hot coil has gotten a rude shock from his gas tank.

I had a problem with that just the other day right after installing a high output coil. I fixed it by putting rubber hoses on the spark plug cables.

These are tough as hell engines, jsut saying in the future if you ever hear a different noise, stop (unless you're looking for a greater challenge) =)

check your oil and look for a burnt smell, too. If it was overheated, change it.

Btw my buddy dogbunny made a badass temperature dipstick out of a meat thermometer he somehow attached to a dipstick plug hole. He's a clever little weasel. Maybe he'll show a picture of it here.

Meat thermos work great I used to make them up for our motox bikes. Have one sitting here now waiting to go on my XS.

"Meat thermos work great"
So should I run medium rare or more towards well done. Up til now half baked is my normal range.............

Back