I need your wisdom!

mjamusic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
ok I've run into a stopping point and I'm not sure where to go from here...I did a pamco and PMA over the winter, along with a re-wire and I got er' running and sort of timed. I also added UNI pods and a carb jet kit from 650 central all coming out a GS 2 into 1. I'm getting ALOT of popping from the exhaust, some white smoke and a heavy oil smell. I know I need to dial in the timing more, plus check cam chain, adjust valve clearances I'm a bit overwhelmed as to where to start or what order to do things? Some guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a bit overwhelmed as to where to start or what order

Here's the right order. Adjust the cam chain, adjust the valves, adjust the timing at idle, then lastly deal with the carbs. If you have to do ignition, then do it before carbs, and if you have to do charging, you can do it after carbs.

I adjust the cam chain by loosening the adjuster, and then turning it back in as far as it will go - fingers only, without a wrench. It seems to work only with the engine and adjuster cold.

Actually I see you have PMA and no charging per se. In that case I would consider it part of igntion and do it then.

you have made a lot of changes at the same time to the bike so you may need to go through a few different things

having an 80 SG you would have bought a new advance system, I know Mikes has a problem with the replacement advance springs being to weak.

Did you get the timing marks done properly when you installed the PMA?

Here are a couple of links to help you trouble shoot.

Once you have done the cam chain and tappets you will have to make sure your PMA is timed right XSleo address it in thread 1

Funny, I had that problem with the springs. I clipped half a coil off, bent a new hook, and they work great now.

You made a common mistake, you made a lot of changes before knowing your machine. If you didn't make your timing marks at the time of the pma swap, you're gonna need a degree wheel, and the flywheel needs to come back off.

When i got my bike i bought a single points cam and Duel output coil, going by poular knowledge i bought new advance springs as well to replace my old ones. Did the snap test and the weights hardly moved, put the old springs back in and no prob.

Moral of story. Do the research and make sure you know what you are doing and don't listen to popular stories, or if you do, do some cross referencing.

Skull, thank you for those! XJ, also appreciate the correct order. I do realize I did several changes at once, but I am confident that I will work it all out...thanks again all! I have gotten the cam chain tensioned and will be doing the valves this evening. I'll keep you posted.

Good job on trying to make your bike more reliable first tho... that is not as common. Feel confident in knowing that despite a minor set back, you're on the right track, just ahead of schedule.

Back