I really would like to know...

That is one helluva nice bike! I think you made your decision....search for another bandit. These old bikes need attention and care. It may cost you plenty if you need to get someone to fix and maybe they dont fix it if they dont know these bikes. Good luck with your search. JC
The folks I know..of whom i would bring my vintage bikes to are all old school mechanics and bikers..some have modern bikes too but are all old school at heart and knowledge and passion...
I only had the Bandit 11 months and it was just an amazing machine... i wont go into it too much but it suited me perfectly in every way..

Maim: I’d suggest a Suzuki SV650. I’ve got one and it is dead nuts reliable, goes like stink (75 HP vs ~50 on the XS650) and it only weighs 428 lb.

Just my $0.02....
what year? Oh its in your sig. line 2017..too new methinks prolly too much for $$$..LOL
Its the right weight and 75 HP is no slouch...I have looked at them but not too closely.

Last edited:
Its clear that an XS650 could not be my only ride. One that I could use daily but i would have to be on top of my mechanic's skillset..I dont even own the proper tools. The extent to which i could rely on my friends to help is questionable..First they're 60 miles away and 2nd..They have enough on their plates just taking care of their own...But i know them pretty well and they are always willing to help..Just not immediately..which is fine . Especailly if you have more than one bike to ride.
For years I've owned modern bikes alongside the vintage ones...Now that my income is fixed..I can only have one bike...So I think its pretty clear in which direction i need to follow..although its clear my passion is with the vintage bikes..It just makes more sense for me to stay with somethin more modern.....Its hard to deny my passion..actually i have been riiding bikes like these long before they were considered vintage..and now that they are i can no longer "afford' to own them...
At this point I am just grateful i can ride anything at all and that my health is good enough to allow me to keep enjoying my life... Bikes are a big part of the "life enhancement". Frankly not riding make me feel half dead...going on 9 months already.........

The SV650 has been built for nearly 20 years so there are lots of older ones around for less money. You should be able to find a nice ABS model with EFI for ....$2-3,000 I’d guess.

The only wrinkle is that there is an entire amateur racing class for the SV and so some of them will have been thrashed - inspect carefully.

Thanks appreciate that..I'm pretty well set on another Bandit1250...mine was 105hp with the Delkevic exhaust and some minor tuning...The motors is a torque monster right from off idle and all of the torque is useable and below 7000- 8000 rpms...
Had mine only 11 months so we have some unfinished business to attend to... I was able to save the RDL saddle which is intact from the wrecked bike...so thats one less farkle to worry about...
I will have to find new riding gear because I have lost 55lbs since Jan 2018 ..Nothing I currently own fits anymore..Gee I'm really happy about that..but not having to spend the money... Could be alot worse..
Y'all have a great day...:D

Owned a couple of the 1200 bandits and they are great bikes and stupid cheap. to buy used. But... I've been looking at the Honda CTX700, not for everyone, but maybe more suited for the "next 10 years" than a 1200..... Guess like the Griz my point is the 700 class makes a lot of sense. There's plenty of fans of the FJ FZ Yamahas in 7,8 and 900 cc versions also. Several guys here run the FZ's, the FZ1 is a serious contender as well. Buy a $3000 newer bike find a "decent" XS650 in the 1000 to 1500 range (they're out there, run em both with liability only insurance, vintage plate on the XS learn the basic mechanics with our help, gain hundreds of new friends, win, win, win. Lots of XS650, vintage, bike rallies near you also. http://www.xs650.com/threads/2019-vintage-yamaha-rally.53399/

Triumph is the only one that came close to succeeding in the retro market. I’ll pull up and say ‘ Damn, that’s an old Bonnie ‘ But no. It’s a retro. And then... a 79 CB750F perfectly restored. No it’s a 2014 retro. Do you guys see where I’m going? There is no substitute. I’m sorry. Call me a crotchety old goat. I am.
Royal Enfield's Interceptor for 2019 is brand new and it is a totally bitchin retro ride but brand spankin' new...The y have nailed it first time around...A modern Twin that i could own if i could afford the $6K sticker price which is really an excellent deal IMHO...

Owned a couple of the 1200 bandits and they are great bikes and stupid cheap. to buy used. But... I've been looking at the Honda CTX700, not for everyone, but maybe more suited for the "next 10 years" than a 1200..... Guess like the Griz my point is the 700 class makes a lot of sense. There's plenty of fans of the FJ FZ Yamahas in 7,8 and 900 cc versions also. Several guys here run the FZ's, the FZ1 is a serious contender as well. Buy a $3000 newer bike find a "decent" XS650 in the 1000 to 1500 range (they're out there, run em both with liability only insurance, vintage plate on the XS learn the basic mechanics with our help, gain hundreds of new friends, win, win, win. Lots of XS650, vintage, bike rallies near you also. http://www.xs650.com/threads/2019-vintage-yamaha-rally.53399/
Yes...This is how i used to operate..New and old bikes in my stable side by side...my limited fixed income is the impediment...

I am in your age bracket, 64, still have the itch for stupid big power, EBR:rolleyes:, like the comfort of the Royal Star for cross country but sure wish I could find a comfy full feature camping class, touring bike that's closer to 500 than 900 pounds.

limit your new bike to $2000 let it be known that you are looking for a decent vintage bike. There are plenty of guys will let a vintage go to a "good home" for a song cause they care more about seeing it well loved, than a cash windfall.

I am in your age bracket, 64, still have the itch for stupid big power, EBR:rolleyes:, like the comfort of the Royal Star for cross country but sure wish I could find a comfy full feature camping class, touring bike that's closer to 500 than 900 pounds.
I have Arthralgia in my arms..shoulders and hands..I have lost a good deal of strength in those area so anything over 500# is too heavy. I am trying to keep it to 500# max. 900# is out of the question...:unsure:

limit your new bike to $2000 let it be known that you are looking for a decent vintage bike. There are plenty of guys will let a vintage go to a "good home" for a song cause they care more about seeing it well loved, than a cash windfall.
I have done this in the past...

Oh I nearly didnt see this..Yes i know about the VYR..I have been going since 2010 although i have missed a few years in between...as it is i am not going to make it this year..My original plan was to bring a trailer and a wad of cash to the VYR...but its clear to me now that plan is flawed..LOL

Theres a fellow member here selling an '83 up in Minn. for $1500 that would be a nice deal...Are the latest models the least troublsome?

there are some great bikes out there cheap.
Oops, sorry, this one's a scam! https://sheboygan.craigslist.org/mcy/d/fredonia-2012-black-kawasaki/6906317609.html
My mind is pretty much set on another Bandit1250...I still have unfinished business to attend to. My budget and savings are geared for $3000-$3500 tops. I have seen 2007 bandit 1250s well within that range. They must have hard bags because theres no storage on this bike otherwise..and i do like to carry my raingear..etc
Yeah scammers are out there ..anything modern with a $1500 price on it is BS...

Yes, it sounds like an XS650 isn't your best 1st choice, but do keep it in the back of your mind as a second "fixer-upper". You can still stumble across them cheap. My buddy and I found one for $200 about a year and a half ago. Of course it needed work, it had been sitting for 12 years, but it was complete and running way back then (just not charging, lol) .....

COykyrk.jpg

I've spent probably about $300 on it so far, but that's over the course of a year and a half, so it's not breaking my bank (I'm retired on a fixed income too). It will require a few hundred more thrown at it, but it's up and running, and getting better with each little "tweak" I apply .....

hErhCcY.jpg

Latest "tweaks" include a fork overhaul, XS400 "1L9" clutch worm, and TCI timing change (slightly retarded).

Back