1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

I shortened my exhaust. Is it richer or leaner?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pokerchief29, Sep 13, 2020.

1. pokerchief29

pokerchief29 XS650 Member

Also do I turn this screw out to make it leaner? Or richer? The screw on the left not the idle screw. Before cutting exhaust it ran perfect screws were half turn out.

Attached Files:

2. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Those look like Mikuni VM slide carbs so the screw in question would be an air regulating screw. Turning it out lets more air in and would make things leaner. But, that air screw only provides adjustment for the idle or low speed circuit. If your problems are elsewhere, higher up in the RPM range, then you may need to make other changes (main jet size, needle position). Also, your pods are rather small and could be choking off air flow. Bigger is usually better for them.

TwoManyXS1Bs and jay760 like this.
  3. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Rule of thumb... might even be an absolute... on a carb, if the mixture screw is on the air filter side of the throttle valve(slide, butterfly, etc) it's an air mix screw.
    If it's on the engine side, it's a fuel mix screw.

timbeck and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.