I should know better.....

15cherries

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I recently posted about loud ticking on start-up on my 1979 xs650 special. I picked-up the bike this winter and someone who I thought new these engines tuned it and got it running for me. I checked the cam chain adjuster today and the pin was in approx. 1/8 of an inch so I adjusted it flush. I then checked the valves and all were loose, so back to utube and a couple hours later I seem to have a much quieter engine that seems to be running great, thanks to all for pushing me in the right direction to get off my ass and check it myself,lol. Sam.

Even though it's flush, make sure there's a mm or two movement for a final check. Too tight can wear down the rubber strip on the adjuster fast.

I recently posted about loud ticking on start-up on my 1979 xs650 special. I picked-up the bike this winter and someone who I thought new these engines tuned it and got it running for me. I checked the cam chain adjuster today and the pin was in approx. 1/8 of an inch so I adjusted it flush. I then checked the valves and all were loose, so back to utube and a couple hours later I seem to have a much quieter engine that seems to be running great, thanks to all for pushing me in the right direction to get off my ass and check it myself,lol. Sam.

You should post this in your other thread. That way it has a conclusion.

Too tight can also prematurely stretch the chain out. Easiest way to check/adjust it is to observe the plunger movement while the bike sits there idling. Too tight and the plunger won't be moving. Adjusted right, it will bounce in and out about a MM or so. Too loose and it will bounce in and out more than that. Really, really loose and the motor will tick like loose valves.

+ on what GLJ says...............

Nice to have sorted out your problem...........yes these friends who know it all..........aren't they great

The Yamaha mechanic at the shop I worked told me to tighten the cam chain until you can just feel it tapping on your finger.:) This was in 1977 when I bought my 1st new street bike, an XS77D.

Back