I think I'm screwed. Pulled point's plate off with out marking it.

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I pulled the complete point's plate off and forgot to mark it. The motor is still on TDC of the compression stroke on the right side. Can I salvage this, or do I have to start from scratch. What sucks is I don't have a volt meter either. I've read the manual several times and can't quite get it figured out.

Any chance you guys can walk me through this some how. :shrug: Thanks.

Get a meter. Harbor freight, radio shack or borrow one from a bud. Set the alternator rotor to where the "F" mark is. Mount your points and use the ohm's setting to set the points for #1 ( the one that is on the plate directly) to open at that mark. Tighten the main plate. Rotate the crank clockwise 1 rotation. Do the same for #2 cylinder. It's points are on the floating plate. biker.net has the Factory Service Manual online. Easy peasy.

BTW. I said heck with it, set it in the middle of the adjustment, and started it right up. I set it by ear for now. Of course I have to dial it in the proper way. I just thought I was so screwed by removing the plate. Guess I got lucky this time.

It has good throttle response, starts real easy. But it has a steady popping through the exhaust on one side at idle.

When you set the points and timing on these, you're basically dealing with 2 separate ignitions. It sounds like the timing is off a bit on the side that's popping. You've got a timing light, use it.

Back