I think I've found my new air filters!

TheRepairMan

78 XS650SE owner
Reaction score
If there's any way I can make these work they are going on my stock 38's. I can buy them pretty reasonably until the supply is gone.

BATCH005_crop.jpg

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Thanks, Bill. It looks like he gets the shipping price either way, but I guess it's still a good deal... IF they will fit.

And, yeah, the description says, "ROUND TAP 2 15/16" - 3"". I think they meant "ROUND TOP..."

Just looking at them, if the top is 3" across then the total length would appear to be between 6.5" to 7.5". Here I go thinking again, but I 'spect they WILL fit okay. I'll check my bike after while (when it warms up outside a little) and see just what needs to happen to make them fit. I'll report back here shortly.

UPDATE: After measuring on my stock SE, they won't work, period.
-R

Last edited:
i really like those clamps. the filters....not so much.

Well, they would be hidden by the side covers on my application... BUT, I just measured and there AIN'T no way. The carb intake OD is only 2 to 2-1/16th", and the bigger problem is the battery and tray. There's only 4-1/2 to 4-3/4" between the carbs and battery box. So on some choppers or bobbers, or even stock bikes running no battery, maybe, but mine... I'll keep looking.

Someone else had some pods that WILL work and were a decent price, but I haven't found the thread.

Anyway, this mod is a NO GO for me.

-R

Last edited:
Get UNI pods, about $14 or $15 each and they work the best with these CV carbs. K&N style don't work as well. The pleated filter surface disrupts the air flow and can make tuning more difficult.

Get UNI pods, about $14 or $15 each and they work the best with these CV carbs. K&N style don't work as well. The pleated filter surface disrupts the air flow and can make tuning more difficult.

Well, now you tell me!:banghead:

I never even considered the tuning aspect. I just wanted to make them work 'cause they're cheap... like me!

No, really, thanks for letting us know!

-R

Repairman I think the intake opening is to small and if you had a an adapter it would be restrictive.

Look at all the numbers again, Tony. The filter I was hoping to use has a lot larger opening than the carb itself. Now, if you did do a plenum across both carbs with only one filter, that might be too restrictive, but there's just not enough room for everything.

I'm back to the pods 5twins suggested.

-R

My fault I should read. I run foam UNI's but I would give these filters a chance.

I had pods on mine for decades, but that's the whole problem now... their age... they just crumbled into my hands recently. Guess I got lucky they didn't get sucked into the motor some time ago.

-R

Back