I wanted ammo boxes

weaselbeak

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
But they are HEAVY....so I ended up with these from a sporting goods store. Yes, I am frugal....as in cheap.

412421436.jpg

412421440.jpg

Paint bike to match. I like the smaller cans. Enuf to put a sammich and a 22oz brew in

I've never owned any but I've always had a soft spot for the airheads. :thumbsup:

I've been known to strap a set of $16 Coleman plastic coolers on my bike to use for camping....and it gets really funny watching what some riders will go through at gas stations to avoid eye contact. I'll go out of my way to pull up close to them and it gets almost painful at times.:laugh:

It's all good and I pretty much like anything on two wheels....and the people on them.

I have a lot of respect for somebody using their head instead of their wallet.

Take care and enjoy the summer (in our part of the world):bike:

Gordon in NC
1975 XS650B...back on the road this afternoon (fingers crossed)

If you ever had a '70s Airhead with the factory Krauser style hard bags, you would be spoiled. They're about the best I've ever used, and I have had some other brands/styles. You used to be able to buy universal sets from Dennis Kirk many years ago. They weren't that expensive either, about $150 to $200 a set. They came in two sizes, but the nice thing is, they both hang off the same rack set-up. If you have multiple bikes, all you need is several mount sets and you can swap the bags from bike to bike. They pop on and off with the push of a button. Over the years, I've managed to do just that, acquire a couple bag sets (one large size and one small) and several mount sets .....

StarandStarlet.jpg

The mounting "hoops" fit either bag and pretty much any bike ....

KSet.jpg

You just need a specific or universal "A" kit to attach them .....

ASet.jpg

Or, like in the case of my 650, you can make custom mounting straps .....

StrapMounts.jpg

Fitting the Krausers to my 650 was one of the first things I did to it .....

650Fall08-6.jpg

650Fall08-2.jpg

All you need now to complete your travel set is a milk crate top box!
(I had read in another forum about peeps using Stanley Fat Max tool boxes as cases.)

I'll have to agree 100% with 5twins (on a LOT of stuff) that Krauser made a quality product and as far as I know they still do. You can pick up a used set for a good price and the new stuff isn't "crazy" money.

My cooler bags started out as a joke....and I didn't think they would last. Well they have but I've finally retired them and will mount my set of Yamaha bags on the B model this weekend. No....they are not the higest quality vintage bags I've seen...but I like them.

NOW......if you want to be my BEST EVER new friend and you're thinking about what your going to get me for an early Xmas present....I'll take a set of Givi Trekker Outbacks with racks....and you might as well throw in a Givi Outback top box too. Not trying to be picky....but I'd rather have them in black but I'll learn to live with the alloy version. :wink2:

We'll work on which BMW you'll get me next year so I'll have something to mount them on. :laugh:

Shipping to:
Gordon Gray...My BEST EVER New Friend
162 Dogwood Lane
North Carolina

HUGS....:bike: Gordon in NC

Last edited:
I have a set of Givis as well, for my Moto Guzzi. Italian bags for an Italian bike, right? They're just their standard style from a few years ago, but very nice. I got them at a shop going out of business for a song ($100 for the bags AND complete mounts). I guess they had trouble selling them because of the odd color (red and white). But that was a perfect match for my bike .....

FingerLakes2.jpg

MyLeMans.jpg

This closing sale also netted me two sets of Krauser bag mounts. That's one of them in the second pic above. No "A" kits, just the racks, but mounting straps are pretty easy to fab up. They sold me both sets for like $30. One box had an $89.95 sticker on the side.

:eek: Holly Cow!!!!!:eek: 5twins......is there ANYTHING you don't have a photo of? :laugh:

Oh......and a new Guzzi instead of the BMW is an option I would consider. It wouldn't be nice to complain about a Xmas present.

I like weaselbeaks bags.....they look GREAT on his bike IMO.

Cheapo Gordon in NC :laugh:

Wait, there's more, lol. I found a set of these with mounts in the trash in front of a shop that closed down. Even had the little matching tail trunk .....

A-FBag.jpg

I haven't put them on any bike yet but some day I'd like to. They're an odd shape but well made and quick detach. When I managed to pick the lock on the trunk, I found mounting instructions inside. The mount set was for a GS Suzuki.

But they are HEAVY....so I ended up with these from a sporting goods store. Yes, I am frugal....as in cheap.

Hi weaselbeak,
nah, you were just saving weight. And only being careful.
A real cheapskate wouldn't buy anything.
I saw photos of an (I think) XS11 at a rally with two large-size Kitty Litter boxes being used as panniers.
Now that guy was cheap.
Oddly, when he later posted that he'd swapped them out for a pair of proper motorcycle panniers he got several negative replies from folks who just loved those repurposed boxes.

XS%20Southeast%202015%20064.jpg

Yep.....I've been known to go on the cheap. :laugh:

Fred.....I have a photo somewhere around here of a Triumph at Mid-Ohio with set of kitty litter plastic bags on it......they looked GREAT and worked a treat.

Have a SAFE summer......Gordon in NC

Back