idling issue

payaso13

1978xs650
Reaction score
Is this normal....when I start bike on center stand I have to stand there and blip or keep a steady amount of throttle at 1200rpms till warms up. But when I start it on side stand...no throttle and idles fine till warmed up.. I'm sure it has to do with angle of carbs and fuel flow...but is this a warning to something coming?

Yes, that sounds normal to me. All 4 cycle engines need extra fuel/air when they are cold. Cars and trucks used to have a fast idle cam built into the carb mechanism. Fuel injection and computer control, adds additional fuel/air to increase idle speed when engine is cold.

With the bike over on the side stand, I'd say you're increasing the fuel level of the carbs, and thus adding a richer mixture. If that works for you, just keep doing it................that's your fast idle mode.

Edit: You don't have to stand by the bike, just turn up the throttle idle speed screw and walk away. While you're putting on your helmet, and checking the latest text messages on your smart phone, the engine rpm will increase. After a few minutes, turn the speed screw back to normal 1200 rpm.

Ok thanks for reply...I used to turn screw up and have to lower it once riden for awhile.. warmed up. Since putting on jbm intakes I've left screw alone and idle still stays about 1200 when hot. No more back and forth stuff like I used to do.

Back