If imagination runs wild...

crashcourse

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
First, let me say that I know that this proposed project would be very difficult and expensive, and that if I just wanted power I would be better off buying a new sportbike.

I've been reading a little about race teams that built custom heads to get better flow/combustion efficiency, etc. It made me think: what if you made a water cooled, 4 valve/cyl head for the xs650?

With smaller valves the rpm ceiling would go up, with increased cooling you could raise compression. More valve area means more air. Depending on head design, you could go to DOHC and play with valve timing and overlap. If you put in a big bore kit, there's another horsepower increase.

Now, because of the different head design, combustion speed would change, so we'll need adjustable timing. A beefier clutch to handle the extra HP would be a must. To further increase rpm ceiling, lighter pistons, lighter/stronger rods, and a balanced (and rephased) crank would also be in order.

Finish off with some exhaust and intake tuning, and some bigger carbs.

Of course this project would be massive, both in terms of expense and time. But what kind of power do ya'll think you could get out of a special construction engine like that? I think 100+HP wouldn't be a bad guess.

Just for fun. Because I like designing things. And to complete this, I'd need to learn casting and welding and a lot more machining. So it's an excuse to learn a lot and have a good time out in the shop, doing something that I've never done before.

Why not? Drake did it with HD Knuckleheads.

479919_10151013404967512_1820785540_n.jpg

IMG8195.jpg

Dead Roman asks a good question. I like the idea of a liquid cooled motor for the reasons you listed but if you are going to do it there's no sense stopping with a liquid cooled head only. Might as well go all the way.

There's another good reason for liquid cooled cylinders: back in the Dark Ages of air cooled 2 stroke dirt bikes, the cylinder would heat unevenly thus expand unevenly and that was a major cause of seizure. Liquid cooling the cylinders got rid of that problem.

Intresting coolant radiator on the top Drake engined Hog...and that kick starter..Oh My!

Back