If you went to a salvage yard with $700, what would you ask for for a custom build?

meanEG

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have been looking for an xs650 for about 5 years on and off. I decided its time. I drove 4 hours away last weekend to get a bike and left it there because it was a piece of shit. Wasted $75 in gas and a whole day. SO I found a salvage yard about an hour from me that has been disassembling bikes since the 70's. He told me he has a few complete xs650 for $500, but I don't think it has a title. I have a way to get titles for about $100 with registration, so I am not worried. I thought $500 was little much for a non titled bike.

So this brings us to why I posted this thread. I have about $700-$800 to spend on a bike. This is going to be a long term hardtail build. After speaking to him, I am pretty sure I am going to be able to replace the parts I don't want with ones I do. If you have a selection of anything you wanted in bike parts what would you want to pick? I tried searching for the best parts of certain years, but didn't have any results.

This is the list I have so far
xs650
21" DT drum front Wheel
16" rear Yamaha spoked wheel
DT tank with the high middle
I need to ask him for vm34 carbs and some throttle bodies, as I see fuel injection in the future a possibility

Thanks for the help

- - - I have about $700-$800 to spend on a bike. This is going to be a long term hardtail build. After speaking to him, I am pretty sure I am going to be able to replace the parts I don't want with ones I do. If you have a selection of anything you wanted in bike parts what would you want to pick? I tried searching for the best parts of certain years, but didn't have any results.
This is the list I have so far
xs650
21" DT drum front Wheel
16" rear Yamaha spoked wheel
DT tank with the high middle
I need to ask him for vm34 carbs and some throttle bodies, as I see fuel injection in the future a possibility - - -

Hi meanEG,
my own "best pick" for a good looking bike would be an '80 or later XS650 Special for the TCI and lift-off seat and live with the rear shock angle, deep groove aluminum rim wire wheels from a mid '70s XS650, Standard gas tank, Standard bars and if the stock exhaust was rusted out; a long muffler 2 into 2 aftermarket exhaust.
Which is Eff all help to a hardtail builder, right?
It's quite possible to spend $700 to $800 at a breaker's yard to get an untitled XS650 and your parts shopping list.
Best you budget at least another $1,000 to finish the build.

cool great info for the later model stuff. one thing I was curious on is the early head cover with the compression release valve. are the head covers interchangeable? I want to run kick only

Heads and rocker covers should be a set with matching numbers. You could replace the valve cover to do away with the compression release.
Keep in mind with salvage yard parts, they usually come with a fair amount of weather patina.
Tell us more about $100 title registration.
Welcome to the forums.

I would want to add the compression release on a newer motor. regarding the titles, this is how I do it. it wouldn't necessarily apply to you exactly, but here it is. most of the salvage is indoor, crazy right?

I have a cop friend of mine in Georgia. Georgia is a non issue title state for anything 1985 and below. In order to get a bike, or car for that matter, registered in Ga, you need to get the VIN verified by a cop to see the vehicle and to run the VIN. if its clean, you get a signed document from them and take it to the county DMV. Once at the DMV you pay the registration, car is $20 and a bike is $12.50 I think. You need to pay some BS tax one time fee (a bike is really cheap). BAM, now its registered. I also get a notarized document out of some GA state law or statute book from the DMV office stating that GA is a non issue title state. The manager knows what your looking for. I then take that to my home state of Pennsylvania and go the tag office. I supply the weight of the bike, the GWV and the VIN. They see the current registration and the documentation from GA regarding the statute. and I get a new title free and clear. the title fees changed a little in Pa, but it was under $50 last time I did this. I have done this before and it works.

Now, I have also done this before for another bike, but I used Vermont as it didn't require a cop paper. They registered the bike even though I lived in Ga. I am assuming that the process would be the same way if you got the same statute paper to prove Vermont was a non issue title state. I do believe the laws changed in Vermont now and you may have to get the VIN checked by a cop. Also there were limitations regarding registering without a title. it had to do with year and cubic centimeter of the engine.

cool great info for the later model stuff. one thing I was curious on is the early head cover with the compression release valve. are the head covers interchangeable? I want to run kick only

Hi meanEG,
yes, the later 4-stud plain ol' square covers will plug right on.
If the bike you plan to get has the compression release kit on it, that system will fetch good money in the purist rebuild market..
Mind you, the compression release part of the system makes better sense on a kick only bike than it does on an E-start bike.
BTW, if you want to spend most of your initial budget on bling, you'll find XS650 cover sets with viewports or with fins in the list's classifieds.

I think I am not saying things right. If I get a newer engine, I want to put the early cover on with a compression release. is it just as easy as putting the early head or valve cover on the later engine? I am assuming all it does is hold the exhaust valve open for a cycle or something?

I would want to add the compression release on a newer motor.

Hi again meanEG,
seems I misunderstood that post. Yes, the decompressor rig will bolt onto any 4-bolt exhaust cover bike.
BUT
The rockers the decompressor works with will have to be the early pattern with the little compression release ears on them.
Luckily for those who want to install the compression release mechanism on later bikes
they kept installing the eared rockers until they ran out of them some years later.
And yes, the eared rockers will swap right in.[/QUOTE]

I think I am not saying things right. If I get a newer engine, I want to put the early cover on with a compression release. is it just as easy as putting the early head or valve cover on the later engine? I am assuming all it does is hold the exhaust valve open for a cycle or something?

Easier than that. Just check the rockers on a later engine to see if they have the decompressor ears on them. If not, swap 'em out.
My previous post got tacked onto yours, click where it sez "expand" to see it.

thanks, I ve seen that one already. ill see what I can get tomorrow at the salvage yard. I am going to his second storage yard first, then to the salvage yard later. Any last recommendations? I am leaving at 9am tomorrow

take along a 10 and 12 mm wrench, if the engine kicks over, pull a valve cover to see if the inside is rusty.........

cool. Is that a common thing? what aboutforks. its seems the frames are better on the 74+. the foks I should be looking for are 35mm? What are the disadvantages of the 34mm?

yeah 78 up are the best stock forks but straight and no rust on the tubes trumps that!

I got as 78 basket case biker today. It was missing quite a bit, but we parted another one next to it to complete a lot of it. I picked up a xt500 from 21 wheel, a 16 spoked rear and a dt360 tank. short bars and a nos yokohama front knobby. got up to 100-120 psi with 5 kicks and has been sitting indoors since 93. ill be selling the mags and brake system and a great condition seat with no rips.

Back