If you've never owned a bike before...would you buy this?

I'd say go for it. I would. The things I've been looking for in my quest for an XS is 1) Clean title. 2) Mostly there, as long as its not just a frame and engine basically. 3) engine and trans move freely. 4) Clean title. And with those criteria, I've yet to find one in decent shape for under 1200 bucks.

Also as a side note to the dad thing: my dad just got his '74 Sportster bobber together and on the road. Nothing amazing to most but it's cool to him and me. Flat black tins with some nice orange and white pin-striping, straight exhaust and that's that. But since he's gotten the thing I've gotten the bike bug and that's what led me to the almighty XS! I've shown him some nice examples and he's even perused this site on his own and he thinks these things are cool bikes. He's also a mechanic so when I do (knock on wood) find my XS I'll be able to do whatever fairly easily with his help if needed. He's always taught me that it doesn't matter the name on the hood, just whether it's cool to you.... Although I do give my best friend the business for being a strict ford guy.. :D

I say go for it. I just started wrenching 3 months ago on a CB360 that was giving me hell. Saw a '79 xs650 special on craigslist - running, everything was there and working. Picked it up for $800, going to tune it and ride it this summer while I finish up the 360 then dive into cleaning it up the xs this fall/winter.

My experience of the last 3 months - you can anything/everything you need in a manual and online via forums to fix any problem. I'm hooked, it's exciting working on motorcycles. I think I'll always have some project going from now on.

I do recommend you get that machi ne, clean 'er all up and make her reliable with a few mod's, and go have a ball. Not a bad bike to learn everything on, riding, repair, maintenence, ect. Get your permit and ride the snot out of it before this winter. The only 'upgrades' I would suggest is a Pamco ignition system, possably swing arm bushing's, and cleaning ALL the electical component's as well as the connection's. If I remember correctly, there is only one fuse, change that holder to a blade type, found at any auto parts store.

I do recommend you get that machi ne, clean 'er all up and make her reliable with a few mod's, and go have a ball. Not a bad bike to learn everything on, riding, repair, maintenence, ect. Get your permit and ride the snot out of it before this winter. The only 'upgrades' I would suggest is a Pamco ignition system, possably swing arm bushing's, and cleaning ALL the electical component's as well as the connection's. If I remember correctly, there is only one fuse, change that holder to a blade type, found at any auto parts store.

Thanks for the advice! That bike fell through, Im still patiently looking though. You guys have given me a lot of good advice on this forum. Makes me want one even more haha

I'm with your dad, I never let anybody ride my bikes. If they are gonna break, they always break when someone else is riding them.
If you wanna ride, put your money together and get something you like, and make it cool. Cool doesn't come from your wallet.

I have about $400 into my 75 XS650... welded struts to the swingarm, hand formed flat steel seat (no pad, no springs.. solid frame mounted on a rigid.... and in a sea of chromed out V-twins.. everyone stops to look at MY POS..... and it runs like a raped ape..... louder than 2 HDs with drag pipes and my only complaint is the need for better gearing for highway speeds... thinking about an 18/30 gear swap and a fresh chain

Back