Ignition Explained for a dummy like me!

kartoon82nd

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi my name is Rob and I am new to this whole thing. I live in Montana and love motorcycles. I however am not the brightest when it comes to bikes. Anyways I bought a 1982 XS-650 motor. I have went through the engine replaced what I needed to. Now I want to make a custom bike. I am totally lost with the whole ignition system. The motor came with no of the ignition system. I want this bike to be kick start only, headlight, taillight only, I need to know what I need, I know I need a rotor, stator, and then I get lost in all that stuff. Please anyone that can explain this to me and what I need I would be great full for any info big or small. Thanks Rob.

Click on "Tech" at top of page. Go down to "Electrical" and spend some time reading.

Try the "Search" box as well.

A manual such as Haynes is a must have.

Welcome to the group.

Use search for wireing diagrams too. For iggy systems theres points, factory TCI, Pamco (my choice), Boyer. Thats off the top of my head. For Alternator theres stock and PMA (permanent magnet alternator). Both need rectifier and voltage regulator. Theres solid state and for stock systems the Radio Shack/ Chrysler mod. PMAs need a different rec/reg than stock. All systems have good points. It's a matter of personal preferance which one you choose.

With out the factory ignition parts I would get a Pamco ignition, collecting all the 30+ year old parts for the stock system will probably cost more. Do some research then decide.
On the alternator, starting from scratch I might try a PMA system. Hugh of Hugh's Handbuilt sells a kit that has eveything you need.
The stock alternator can be a bit costly to find the parts. I would get an 80 up stator. Then you can use the 80 reg/rec of the Chrysler reg and Radio Shack mods easy. No nylon screws needed.
Again research and decide. They both have good points and weak points.
On manuals I like the Yamaha factory manuals. I have the Clymers manual and it is a not to good copy of the factory manual. Lots of mistakes. From what I hear the Haynes is about the same. The Clymer and Haynes you can find all over. The factory book Ebay sometimes. Biker.net has some of the factory books online and you can down load them.
They might not be your exact year but the changes from year to year where mostly outside the engine. Looks and electrics mostly.
Leo

Back