Ignition Switch Location - Thoughts - and am I not thinking of anything?

mattylmbr

mattylmbr
Reaction score
Finally getting into the wiring on my project, and have decided to abandon the entire motogadget M unit and just go old school kick only. Other priorities on the project right now and can always deal with that later if I feel like it

Anyway - thinking of mounting the ignition switch in my rear pan under the cafe hump, with the key sticking down underneath. It is really the only 'hidden' option I have with my setup without making a mount outside of the pan and having it be visible.

First pic shows a location in the pan from top view where it would go (red arrow points to location - don't mind the other ignition in the photo). Second and third pics show a hypothetical side view of where the key would be put in and how far it would stick down.

It is 6+ inches higher than the tire, and far offset. The tire hitting would not be an issue.

Thoughts on location?

And any possible issues I am not thinking of I may have putting it there?

Thanks in advance.

20190823_174202.jpg
20190823_173824.jpg
20190823_173947.jpg

As long as you have a kill switch at the right/ throttle position you can put the ignition switch in any inconvenient to reach spot you want......lol

Believe it or not - the former owner had NO kill switch on it - and the key in a harder to reach spot. Wondering if I can integrate the on/off/kill switch on the stock Yamaha R6 controls I have on the bike?

And appreciate the feedback.

Yes key falling out when moving it, while off. It'll happen in some muddy field at 3AM and you won't realize it til the next morning.

While on - technically - key won't come out.

While off - correct - if the ignition is on the 'off' position the tumblers won't hold it in like they will in the 'on' position. Good thought though. Not a deterrent - yet.

While on - technically - key won't come out.

While off - correct - if the ignition is on the 'off' position the tumblers won't hold it in like they will in the 'on' position. Good thought though. Not a deterrent - yet.
...vibration can be a gremlin's friend... that key shaking may one time close and fall out...stranger things have happened...

Relocated mine to where the reflector mounted under the tank, right side. Had three sets of keys to the keychain, all my 650's.
Imagine my surprise when I went to turn her off at the gas station to fill up after a twenty mile country run and the keys were......gone. lol
I did get pretty good at pulling lock cylinders though.

Relocated mine to where the reflector mounted under the tank, right side. Had three sets of keys to the keychain, all my 650's.
Imagine my surprise when I went to turn her off at the gas station to fill up after a twenty mile country run and the keys were......gone. lol
I did get pretty good at pulling lock cylinders though.

That is pretty solid. So, you are saying if I go with this location, carry an extra key? Haha.

Side note - did just get the kill switch on the R6 controls working with my setup - so stoked on that.

20190823_192847.jpg

I think I see a Motogadget M-Lock in your future......(RFID type switch plus relay)
Your ignition lock location is one of the worst I've seen so far, and I'm 55......
I guess you could make it slightly worse by mounting it under the engine, close to an exhaust pipe. Adding burn hazard to its features.......

I think I see a Motogadget M-Lock in your future......(RFID type switch plus relay)
Your ignition lock location is one of the worst I've seen so far, and I'm 55......
I guess you could make it slightly worse by mounting it under the engine, close to an exhaust pipe. Adding burn hazard to its features.......

@arcticXS that was a great response and feedback. Laughing my ass off right now.

That being said - would an M - lock work in a battery less kick only situation?

@arcticXS that was a great response and feedback. Laughing my ass off right now.

That being said - would an M - lock work in a battery less kick only situation?
No, I think it requires a battery. But a really small non-lead battery should be enough. On my RD350 with powerdynamo cdi and kick only, I use a Super B 2600 battery. It weighs exactly 1 pound/450g and is pretty flat. But is still really powerful, and has no problems cranking an electric start Suzuki 125 4 stroke single with an 11:1 Wiseco 143 cc big bore piston installed. I have used 2 different batteries from Super B for many years, in 4 different bikes. In my XS, I have a Super B 5200, which I also have used in my Ducati 600 with 680 cc hi comp pistons before. Plenty of cranking power, and weighs just 2 pounds.

Back