Ignition system opinion

drewbaby88

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What's up guys, I need a little help. I have an 81 with electronic ignition. My problem is, All my electrical stuff came in a BOX. I don't know what works and what doesn't. I have 2 combo rec/reg and 1 TCI box. OK, to the point. I want something reliable(Pamco or Boyer) What ignition would you run and why? I want to keep it simple with signals, HL, and Tail, and would like to keep the starter. What would be the easiest to install vs most reliable vs most affordable.... Secondly, I cut of the tail, kept the swingarm and welded in the brat kit from Visual Impact and need to know where I should put the battery and other elec. stuff. I appreciate the help guys.

Attachments

• IMAG0006.jpg
    IMAG0006.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAG0008.jpg
    IMAG0008.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 97
There are several diagrams in the "Tech" section. Personally I would go for the Pamco. I have an '81 and want to change to a Permanent Magnet system. You need a mechanical ignition to do that swap. With the PM you can go batteryless or use an extremely small battery like a video camera battery. Plenty of threads on here about electric and mechanical. Ignitions.

Yeah, I've seen all the diagrams, which is why I am more confused now. I don't know what i want to go with. Would i be happier with PM and Pamco, or stator and Pamco, or Boyer? I really wanna keep the starter so PM is probably out. I'm thinking Pamco system with solid state rectifier and smaller battery. PamcoPete, what say you?

I really wanna keep the starter so PM is probably out.

You can still use a normal battery for PM. The main advantage then would be eliminating the stock rotor, which is more prone to fail than a PM rotor.

Yep, you can keep the battery or use a capacitor. Obviously a capacitor can't power the starter. I have a kick only and plan to get rid of the battery.
Some smaller batteries will have trouble powering the starter though.

It seems like you have all the parts, so I would just get it running as is if possible. Either what you have is broken, so part of the decision is made for you already, or else you'll buy time making a decision....

In the Haynes manual on pg. 158-159 it tells you how to test the reg/rec using a multi-meter. I only know how to test the TCI using a timing light. I'm not sure if you can test it out of the bike like the reg/rec.
There are a couple "battery" threads on here. You can get a small battery with plenty of CCA, but they're a little pricey for me.

I got rid of the starter, simplified the wiring (safety relay, ect. removed). I have a stock TCI , which works great, but want to go to a Pamco and a PM system.
My stock battery had trouble turning the starter and the kicker got it going first or second try, so I got rid of the starter. There are some down falls to not having a starter though. Like if the engine stalls, and I'm not going fast enough to dump the clutch to pop start it, I have to stop, put it in neutral, and kick it. It's so much fun at a redlight, LOL.

This is exactly what i think I am gonna do. PM with Pamco and keep starter and good battery. I really appreciate the help. Is there a modern Reg/Rect I can use instead of the old one?

There are many battery options out there. To run the starter a battery of 12-14 amp-hours and at least 180-200 ca's.
On the ignition, if your stator has the pickup on it I would wire up the TCI box and coil and see if it sparks. If it sparks it might run ok.
I like this diagram. It shows the basics and a few options.

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 109
I have very limited XS experience but im very happy with the Boyer that my bike came fitted with..

The unit must be ten years old and has sat outside with no protection for many years,I had no idea if it even worked or not so I contacted boyer and they said drop it in to them and they will run check on the ignition and the coil (I live nearish to Boyer :bike:) so was really happy with the customer service..

My bike is running a small 12v 0.8ah battery with a chopper loom and Kick only and all seems to be good.. I was dreading the prospect of not having a estart on a bike like this but needn't have worried as my bike starts almost first kick..

Just my 2 pence..

The batt im using
B7tDDZwCWkKGrHqUOKpwEyjC5UEgBM1lFPcQ0_12.jpg

My battered old Boyer unit
IMG_6679.jpg

Back