im at a lost and can't find someone to help

Jkickstart

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas I'm new to this I just recently had my cam chain replaced as well as new gaskets chain guides tensioner and piston rings I rode the bike 1 day after everything seemed fine except for it stalling every Time I came to a light I adjusted the carbs to a higher idle and it ran fine. My kick stand broke and it fell over the day I rode it I rode it for about 100 miles so long story short I left the petcock on over night the next morning there was gas all on the ground I kicked it over it started and stalled twice nothing since and was about a month ago it now just backfires loud and when I pull the throttle and kick it same time it tries to break my leg pleas anything will help

Can't help much but the kick back is a build up of compression in the engine. I ended up on crutches about 15 years ago trying to kick-start my '79 and it kicked back a number of times.

Sounds like carb issues ... when's the last time you had them off for a good cleaning? Dropping it could have broken some crud loose, which could explain both the running issues and gas leaks.

What year? Depending on the carb, could be a fairly easy weekend project.

It's an 81 with stock carbs I rock them apart and sprayed them down with carb cleaner it just made the backfire sound louder

Sounds like carb issues ... when's the last time you had them off for a good cleaning? Dropping it could have broken some crud loose, which could explain both the running issues and gas leaks.

What year? Depending on the carb, could be a fairly easy weekend project.

Sounds like back to basics, when you dropped it you didn't shear a rubber carb mount, or pop off one of the carbs from the intake mount. Start with that, post a picture too, that will help. Fuel pouring through the carbs, can be petcock, can be float needle and seat, can be full tank of gas and a worn needle and seat, let's see if the carbs are mounted correctly both sides, engine and air boxes .....

Last edited:
Il
Sounds like back to basics, when you dropped it you didn't shear a rubber carb mount, or pop off one of the carbs from the intake mount. Start with that, post a picture too, that will help. Fuel pouring through the carbs, can be petcock, can be float needle an seat, can be full tank of gas and a worn needle and seat, let's see if the carbs are mounted correctly both sides, engine and air boxes .....[/QUOTE I'll post a pic in the am tomorrow I have pods on them no air boxes thanks so mich

Did you re-torque your head after having it off?
Kick back. Re-visit your timing?
Gas leak. Check your oil level and smell for gas in the oil?
Stalling. Check your float height?

Check the oil level first thing before any more starting attempts. Leaving the petcock on may have filled the crankcase with gas.

Check the oil level first thing before any more starting attempts. Leaving the petcock on may have filled the crankcase with gas.
I took checked the oil and it doesn't smell like gas and it isn't high the fuel line came off at some point but will it still run with only one carb getting gas

Did you re-torque your head after having it off?
Kick back. Re-visit your timing?
Gas leak. Check your oil level and smell for gas in the oil?
Stalling. Check your float height?
Thanks I didn't do the work myself I had a friend of a friend do it I'm new to this and this is my first bike so I'm still learning

I think we need more details about your bike. Is it stock or modified? Electric start doesn't work (Or you just like kicking for the fun of it)? Was it running fine prior to the cam chain work? Stalling at lights could be a few things... but since you're new...great way to learn is to get a manual, and go through all the systems to ensure everything works as it should. There's a carb guide on this site to read up on how to get them off/clean/set correctly, etc. But that may only be part of the problem... so a thorough check on all parts including electrics, timing, etc. is warranted, I think.

I think we need more details about your bike. Is it stock or modified? Electric start doesn't work (Or you just like kicking for the fun of it)? Was it running fine prior to the cam chain work? Stalling at lights could be a few things... but since you're new...great way to learn is to get a manual, and go through all the systems to ensure everything works as it should. There's a carb guide on this site to read up on how to get them off/clean/set correctly, etc. But that may only be part of the problem... so a thorough check on all parts including electrics, timing, etc. is warranted, I think.
The frame is hardtailed no electric start kick only it has a hhb pma in it instead of a capacitor I kept a battery it's a other than the pma the motor is stock it wasn't running good just it had a lot noise on the top end before the cam chain but it started first kick every time and now nothing

Hmmm...from your description, it sounds like a fuel related issue (as others have said). Guessing you don't have the stock vacuum petcocks, if you can turn them on/off...so check to see that the intake ports on the manifolds have caps on...otherwise it will be extremely hard to start (essentially creating a very lean condition/stalling situation...and back firing).

Beyond that, taking the carbs apart and really cleaning them, resetting the floats, and checking to see that everything is set to spec would be my recommendation.

Hey everyone thank you so much for the fed back this site is awesome I haven't had the chance to check everything out do to my work schedule but I'm definitely daddy g up on the offer thank you so much everyone in much appreciated

Back