I'm putting a xs 650 motor into a tx500 frame

go dog go

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
was just wondering if any one could help me with some info...i have a 74 tx 500 with bad motor (cracked head, picked it up cheap and it looks excellent and is currently registered) and i am picking up a xs 650 special cheap from a buddy.. does anyone know how much hassle i'd be looking at, putting the 650 motor into the 500 frame? i have to do this as the 650 has way out of date tags (and in Ca they are brutal with fees) and the rest of the bike is kinda beat, but has a strong engine..... any tech help would be appreciated thanks

12/3 Thanks for the couple of responses.. i found that putting the 650 in a tx500 would not be very wise, due to the tx500 being much smaller, so im looking for a good 650 frame with current registration maybe make a chop or something. i will delete entire post as soon as i figure this shit out

Last edited:
Do you have a welder? Grinder? I have no idea what a 500 frame looks like but with the skills and a metal melter, anything is possible. Pics?

Hi dog and welcome,
All you need to swap onto the expensive-to-register XS650 is the part of the TX500 that has the frame number on it?
Finally, a legitimate use for a Sawzall?

that 500 is a short stroke motor the 650 is a longer stroke it looks like you might get in there, its a little taller. been through that same thing a few years back. yes with enough fooling around you could make anything work . i ended up getting a 76 honda 500t frame and the 650 fit right in. i think it fits even better the the yama hammer frame!

Any thoughts to making the 500 run again? They are dirt cheap mostly and there is a following .....

http://www.xs500forum.com/

I just picked one up for next to nothing, not to fix but to strip for useful 650 parts .....

XS500-2.jpg

I'm not interested in the motor so you're more than welcome to any or all parts of it. The only problem might be shipping costs as I'm all the way on the other side of the country. But I wouldn't want much for the parts. How's $10 plus shipping sound for a fresh head? The bike is a '77 and I think Yamaha addressed the head cracking by then with a redesigned head.

Back