Installed Lower Bars. Not Happy With Cable Routing

smg65

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I installed "Superbike" bars this afternoon. They are a little shorter and a little more narrow than stock. I played around with the cable routing for quite a while. And though there doesn't appear to be any kinking and the throttle works smoothly, I don't think it's a good setup. The clutch isn't quite as smooth now, and there's a nasty bend in the master cylinder line. I did a search and didn't find much that would explain in detail how to reroute. Or perhaps I should have new cables made up. I'm guessing I will need a shorter master cylinder line. My bike is a 76. The throttle cable exits the left of the frame, and the clutch exits the right. Do I need to remove the tank to rearrange those cables? You can really see the master cylinder line bend in the picture below. Braking isn't affected, but it doesn't look right. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Attachments

• 0713141711-picsay2.jpg
    0713141711-picsay2.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 371
  • 0713141712b-picsay2.jpg
    0713141712b-picsay2.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 603
Had the same thing and took them back off. Eyeballing CB750 bars Friday at my buddy Mike's shop (not THAT Mike's! Lol)

But I do like the feel of 'em and want to keep them. I'm used to lower bars on my bikes... although the clubman and clip-on days are behind me now! LOL

I liked the way they felt, but I like a taller bar too. Wasn't willing to do the headache of shortening everything for a bar I can take or leave.

It looks like you've almost got it. Yes, remove the tank so you can move the cables around a bit if need be. They should be tied to the frame's main backbone tube but not tightly, just held in against it with the freedom to slide and move a little if they have to. You can pull a bit more cable length back along the frame to take up some of the excess. I did my clutch cable just a little differently than yours, feeding it back between the fork tubes .....

CableRouting.jpg

CableRouting2.jpg

For your brake line, a new one piece S.S. line would probably be best, ordered just the length you need it, but there are a couple things you can do now with that original. Loosening and rotating the banjo fitting at the MC may alleviate some of the kink. Also, you may be able to pull the excess hose over to the left behind the headlight bucket like so .....

BrakeLine.jpg

It also looks like you may have the bars rolled back a little too far. The rise of the bar should be in a direct line with the angle of your fork tubes.

BarAngle.jpg

BarAngle2.jpg

Thanks, 5twins!! I couldn't ask for any more detail and help than that! And photos are always a huge help to me. Thank you for that. Your assistance, as always, is appreciated! :)

Last edited:
Okay, so I've got the same issue. Although I've really customized mine. The front forks have been pulled through the top triple tree 3", and then I've installed clip-on bars just under the top triple clamp, another 3" lower than stock bars. That's a 6" drop from stock.

The issue that I'm having is with the throttle cable. Because of that stupid hard L shaped bend in the cable, and due to the fact that I'm using universal aftermarket throttle body, if I turn the bars one way, or another the throttle engages and the engine revs. This is a problem.

I'm wanting to do something different now to prevent that (I don't think it's a routing issue). I think it's the stock cable, with the aftermarket throttle body. Anyone have suggestions on a different cable or a different throttle body that would solve my issue?

Note: The clutch cable doesn't have a hard bend in it - it goes straight into the lever control. Why can't I have that on a throttle control?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/170897083098?lpid=82

This is what I'm using right now.

Would it be possible to modify the existing throttle cable (remove the 'L' tube)? Thinking as I type. Probably not... sheath wouldn't be long enough. What about determining the length you need and having a shop make you a cable? I don't remember the cost, but I had that done years ago, and it wasn't too traumatic. I know there are online sources for custom cables. I was lucky that I was near a mom and pop cycle shop that did that type of work. I'd bet you could find a shop near Milwaukee to do that for you. Good luck!

Yeah, I might need to look into that as an option. I just don't like the design how it is. So I think a throttle cable body that doesn't require a bend, and doesn't move when the bike turns would be ideal. I NEED a straight cable. My issue now is finding a "non-XS650" cable/throttle that will still fit into my '78 carb body and actuate like it's supposed to.

Back