Installing front wheel, do I have all the pieces?

MOSFET

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am installing the front wheel on my 79 Special, after receiving and installing my HHB fork brace. What I noticed is that the axle nut seem to turn passed the pin hole in the axle bolt. I was wondering maybe I have lost a washer or something, can anybody please confirm?

(Click on the picture to see it in the original size)

Right side of wheel

Parts for right side

Left side of wheel

Axle and part for left side

See what I mean? It will go even more when tightening, but I'm worrying it might start bending the shock absorbers

Picture of Hugh's fork brace, incase anyone is interested

Thanks

I wasn't really torquing it down too hard, just hand tightened it, and because the nut went passed the pin hole, I unscrewed the nut. I don't have a torque wrench at hand at the moment.

I can torque it later in peace, when I know I have all the pieces in place.

Hmm, I wonder why is the nut going passed the pin hole then. I have the axle bolt correctly in place alse the speedo reading piece is in groove properly. I can remember when taking the wheel off, the nut pin was in place correctly where it should be.

Am I not supposed to push the axle bolt as far as it can go? I thought that inside the tip of the shock absorber (speedo drive side) is a - how can I say this - a surface where the axle bolt's head or thicker part can come to rest on.

You have all the spacer parts but that tabbed washer you have for under the nut is wrong. It should be just a plain washer, but a little thicker one than you have. It does end up with the cotter pin hole only about half covered by the "fingers" on the castle nut.

Thank you for the info 5twins, I will install a second washer so the inbetweenthefingers and cotter pin hole can line up.

Back