Installing Kickstart Shaft (How to get the damn spring on the perch)

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple months ago I promised to get a writeup together on how to install the kickstart shaft and get the spring on the perch with minimal aggravation. I finally had a reason this weekend to take the right side cover off (replaced the clutch springs) and took the time to snap a couple pictures of the kickshaft.
1. I won't bore you with taking off the cover.
2. With the kickshaft in your hand, align the hard stop on the back side of the shaft (inboard most side) to the rear (aft) side of the stop in the engine block.
3. Insert the shaft in the hole but don't seat it. Leave it out between 1/4" and 1/2".
4. Align the kick clip (the part with the "U" on it) in it's location. See the first attached pic.
5. Using an 8" zip tie, make a loop. You only need to engage 2 or three teeth. Hook that on the coiled return spring. See the second picture.
6. Pull the zip tie loop in the clockwise direction (as you are looking at it) and align it to the perch. KEEP HOLDING A LITTLE TENSION ON IT FOR NOW.
7. Push the kick shaft in the rest of the way and seat it in the last 1/4" to 1/2".

That's it. You are done.

Trav - If you like this you can put it in the tech section.

Attachments

• Kickshaft Installation 1.jpg
    Kickshaft Installation 1.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 359
  • Kickshaft Installation 2.jpg
    Kickshaft Installation 2.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 324
After reading my post a bit I'll make a small amendment:
3. Insert the shaft in the hole but don't seat it fully. You want the hard stop on the back of the shaft assembly to just barely sit against the stop on the engine block assembly. It will be approximately 1/4" from being seated fully.
7. Push the kick shaft in the rest of the way and seat it in the last 1/4" or so.

Back