Review: $40 Amazon Saddlebags

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
61i5qm6-h8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0968JSHQ8?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
For a couple bucks more, you can get black. I chose Dark Brown because I'm cheap. Not sure if maybe they sent me "regular" brown, but that's okay.
The Amazon pictures with the motorcycle are photo-shopped, and are deceptive, making the bag look much larger than it really is.

DSC00779.jpg

Here it is on the Bug Killer. This is not a premium item, but for the price, I am very satisfied.

DSC00781.jpg

I've been running similar bags for years. I like to remove both parts of the seat/helmet lock. for a better frame fit.
(Yes, I know I need to address that pipe!)

DSC00782.jpg

And, I only run a bag on the left. I keep the right side free for kick-starting.

Left.jpg

Here's the Bug Killer 12 years ago, when that name made a lot more sense.
At that time, and in fact, right up until now, I was using "pommel bags," or saddle horn bags, bought from tack shops. This one was vinyl, but they were usually cloth. Sometimes as cheap as $25-30.

DSC00764.jpg

This is the pommel bag I just replaced. They would typically last 1-2 years.

DSC00765.jpg

Definitely ready to retire this bag. (Yeah, I know, the pipe.)

DSC00762.jpg

I'd cut the pommel bags apart, add grommets, and tie-wrap to the bike. The Amazon bag is already seperated, and already has grommets.

DSC00757.jpg

I use a simple plastic form to help the pommel bag keep its shape. This is just a piece of plastic that I found that I bent into a "U" with a heat gun.
The amazon bag looks sturdy enough to keep its shape as is.

DSC00761.jpg

The new next to the old.
(That pipe!)

DSC00756.jpg

The other half of that last pommel bag went on the Super Rustbucket.

DSC00758.jpg

There's still some life left in this bag.

DSC00751.jpg

The other half of the Amazon bag went on the new SR500.

DSC00752.jpg

In addition to the tie wraps under the seat, you also need to somehow secure the bottom or sides of the bag. Otherwise, it will lift up like an airfoil on the highway. With the pommel bags, sometimes I would have to hand-stitch a buckle or strap to the back. The Amazon bag comes with a couple of side and bottom-back provisions for tie-downs. They are minimal, but I'm using them.

Last edited:
Back