Wiring harness musings

Juuuuust so I make sure I'm doing this correctly I've been practicing a bit with some scrap wire and some connectors.
which one of these is crimped properly? The one on the left has the big tabs over the wire insulation, the one on the right does not. And, uh, it pulls off the wire easily. I know, I know, that oughtta answer my question right there, but I'm a wiring newb.

70b5a3ab.jpg

Also, is crimping alone enough? or should I be soldering as well?

The one on the left is correct. If you have a proper crimper that "curls" the tabs into the wire, instead of just mashing them flat, you don't need solder for a secure and appropriate connection.

Thanks. After practice and re-reading 1974jh5's post on installing Mike's connections it makes sense. And after the fail on the pull test.
I'm using a Klein 1005 tool.

image_9144.jpg

FWIW-I've been getting my connectors from vintageconnections.com for about the last 4 years. Chech 'em out.

Posted via Mobile

Thanks and I hope it's been some help. There were plenty of times in my earlier daze when I really could have used a source of info.

FWIW-I've been getting my connectors from vintageconnections.com for about the last 4 years. Chech 'em out.

Posted via Mobile

I just ordered my connectors from Vintage Connections. Im excited becuase they're what I wanted vs. the Radio Shack Crap.

Any idea on how quick their shipping is???

Chompin at the bit here.

Gonna do my wiring tonight and tomorrow and install the connectors when they come in. Please Hurry Connectors !!!

Here are some wiring diagrams I've been working on. These are for a bike with a pamco, kick only with no turn signals. I will diagram signals in later. Works if you use a fuse block as in the full diagram, or if you use the inline fuse harness's. In the Fuse Harness wiring diagram, you can put the accessory before or after the switch, its up to you. I like it before so i can charge my cell phone with the bike not running. Takes about 30 mins to charge fully. Not too much for the bike in a pinch. Not something I would do regularly. Emergency power.

Attachments

• Fuse Harness Wiring Diagram.png
    Fuse Harness Wiring Diagram.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 310
  • Pamco Wiring Diagram.jpg
    Pamco Wiring Diagram.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 357
  • Enlarged view of Headlight swiitch wiring.png
    Enlarged view of Headlight swiitch wiring.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 317
  • Enlarged View of PAMCO and Coil wiring diagram.png
    Enlarged View of PAMCO and Coil wiring diagram.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 303
  • Enlarged View of Tail light wiring diagram.png
    Enlarged View of Tail light wiring diagram.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 294
  • Rectifier Regulator Wiring.png
    Rectifier Regulator Wiring.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 291
  • Enlarged View of Alternator - Rectifier Wiring Diagram.png
    Enlarged View of Alternator - Rectifier Wiring Diagram.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Hi,

Looked at this link Sunday to Vintage Connections and saw the great open barrel crimpers. After some checking they seemed like a fair deal. I ordered them form Calli Sunday and got them today in NC. they are fantastic and a great addition to my tool arsenal. Lots of good terminals carried by them too.

What circuits would you recommend using 14 for? I was going to do lights and horn on 16 and the rest on 14. I see the chart and have read a bit but still am not confident that I'm using the correct gauges.

And another question, is it recommended or necessary to use relays? I've read that a lot of people use them on the headlight and ignition circuits. Does this make enough of a different for it to be worth it?

Here's a question about wiring harness replacement on '81 xs650 SH.
I love long road trips and want to stay stock and the many little electrical glitches got to me so I ordered a new '81 harness from Mikes.
'81 xs650SH is how the title reads.
But the manufacture date stamp on the frame is July 1980.

I know a guy who is a wizard at sorting out complicated electrical problems, has rebuilt many bikes of various makes for many years and is totally compulsive about getting things right. I took my bike to him cuz wiring stuff is not for me.
He got into it and found the new '81 harness did not match the one on the bike (it had never been replaced but had some repairs over the years). So, he got all the wiring diagrams he could locate and found the closest match for the exisitng wiring was the '80 xs750, next closest was the '80 xs650 and they were VERY similar.
Based on the existing wiring plus the manufacture date stamp he concluded that mine is really a 1980 model with the trim details of and '81 and recommended I buy '80 replacement parts not '81.
Has anyone else run into this particularly regarding sorting out wiring problems?
Charlie

I'm having similar issues. I too have a 1981 xs650 SH, model number 4m4, and when i ordered the new harness most of the connections matched up perfectly but, a few did not. I tried to get hold of a wiring diagram for the one i ordered but Mike's wasnt very helpful. did you ever resolve the issue, if so, how?

Just a little update.
Referencing Figure8's "Wiring from Scratch" thread:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45539

A quick take on 'dielectric grease'. Been using it since, like, forever.
This bottle of 'contact dope' was my dad's. It's almost as old as I am.
Used for servicing vacuum-tube electronics, and everything else since then.

GeneralCementContactDope.jpg

A thin smear of dielectric grease on all surfaces of connectors is all that's needed.

This is a good read on dielectric grease and application:

http://www.w8ji.com/dielectric_grease_vs_conductive_grease.htm

Back