Review: $40 Amazon Saddlebags

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
61i5qm6-h8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0968JSHQ8?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
For a couple bucks more, you can get black. I chose Dark Brown because I'm cheap. Not sure if maybe they sent me "regular" brown, but that's okay.
The Amazon pictures with the motorcycle are photo-shopped, and are deceptive, making the bag look much larger than it really is.

DSC00779.jpg

Here it is on the Bug Killer. This is not a premium item, but for the price, I am very satisfied.

DSC00781.jpg

I've been running similar bags for years. I like to remove both parts of the seat/helmet lock. for a better frame fit.
(Yes, I know I need to address that pipe!)

DSC00782.jpg

And, I only run a bag on the left. I keep the right side free for kick-starting.

Left.jpg

Here's the Bug Killer 12 years ago, when that name made a lot more sense.
At that time, and in fact, right up until now, I was using "pommel bags," or saddle horn bags, bought from tack shops. This one was vinyl, but they were usually cloth. Sometimes as cheap as $25-30.

DSC00764.jpg

This is the pommel bag I just replaced. They would typically last 1-2 years.

DSC00765.jpg

Definitely ready to retire this bag. (Yeah, I know, the pipe.)

DSC00762.jpg

I'd cut the pommel bags apart, add grommets, and tie-wrap to the bike. The Amazon bag is already seperated, and already has grommets.

DSC00757.jpg

I use a simple plastic form to help the pommel bag keep its shape. This is just a piece of plastic that I found that I bent into a "U" with a heat gun.
The amazon bag looks sturdy enough to keep its shape as is.

DSC00761.jpg

The new next to the old.
(That pipe!)

DSC00756.jpg

The other half of that last pommel bag went on the Super Rustbucket.

DSC00758.jpg

There's still some life left in this bag.

DSC00751.jpg

The other half of the Amazon bag went on the new SR500.

DSC00752.jpg

In addition to the tie wraps under the seat, you also need to somehow secure the bottom or sides of the bag. Otherwise, it will lift up like an airfoil on the highway. With the pommel bags, sometimes I would have to hand-stitch a buckle or strap to the back. The Amazon bag comes with a couple of side and bottom-back provisions for tie-downs. They are minimal, but I'm using them.

Last edited:
Was looking for a pattern for bags. Think I'm gonna make a set of these. Looks like an easy enough pattern. I like these jpcycles.com/product/drag-specialties-ez-off-saddlebag-support-bracket-for-harley-touring-1958-1986 for side supports -- have them on my white 2014 Yamaha VStar 250. Actually I think I'll put the bigger bags off Lilly onto Rusty, and make new smaller bags for Lilly. Tried these on Rusty though and the're too far back on the turn signal stud and they won't fit over the rear shock mounting bolt.

1714955063470.png

There have been times that I've had to make something like what's in the picture, not as a support, but as a guard to keep the bag from getting into the chain. Mine are simple to make, just a piece of aluminum plate with holes for mounting.

download.jpg
download (1).jpg

These are electrical conduit straps that can be found at Home Depot. Used to attach the plate I make to the frame. There are lots of other types of conduit straps that might be useful.

There have been times that I've had to make something like what's in the picture, not as a support, but as a guard to keep the bag from getting into the chain. Mine are simple to make, just a piece of aluminum plate with holes for mounting.

View attachment 325082View attachment 325083
These are electrical conduit straps that can be found at Home Depot. Used to attach the plate I make to the frame. There are lots of other types of conduit straps that might be useful.
I can picture that working. Been looking at this for a while. Keep talking myself out of it. Would still need side supports for my bags.
1714960999482.png

I think that one is too expensive for the chrome being as poor as it appears. I'd wait for a better and/or cheaper one.
I've scrapped several of those things -- at the time I thought they were ugly and no one would want them, but they were likely also rusty.
It's kind of amazing that no one currently makes an XS650 rack.

I think that one is too expensive for the chrome being as poor as it appears. I'd wait for a better and/or cheaper one.
I've scrapped several of those things -- at the time I thought they were ugly and no one would want them, but they were likely also rusty.
It's kind of amazing that no one currently makes an XS650 rack.
I made an offer on it but they never responded. And yes, it woulda ended up black. Decided to order the other side support ones and mount em with a pair of chrome bolts. Designing some smaller bags for the VStar and moving the bigger bags to the XS650.

What do you think of this rack? https://www.ebay.com/itm/235533155670 -- I don't know if they'll fir Rusty since they only list as a '75. Assume that means they came OFF a '75 and the PO has no clue what else they fit. Still gonna be pricey with that much in shipping. You sure you don't still have a set of rust-catchers out back the barn? Black would look fine. :D

1715122119334.png
The

That one is for a DT. I can tell by looking at the mounting points that it will not fit an XS650.
Yes, It is a real shame that I scrapped several of them. I was way into Bratstyle at the time -- the original Japanese Brat:
https://www.bratstyle.com/custombike/
not the American versions.

IMG_7179-2.jpg

I've since learned to appreciate all XS650s. Funny, I'm not really into the Bratstyle look anymore.

Last edited:
Here's what you're looking for in a Special rack, Shelby. There's 2 mount points on both sides. One goes to the lower grab bar mount and the other goes to the upper.... behind the tail light assembly. Look for those points. Fits '80 and up specials.

1715124592564.png

1715124652631.png

1715124673464.png

Here's what you're looking for in a Special rack, Shelby. There's 2 mount points on both sides. One goes to the lower grab bar mount and the other goes to the upper.... behind the tail light assembly. Look for those points. Fits '80 and up specials.
Oh, man, she's a real beauty. Looks a lot like my husband's XS650... she was a '79 I think. (And thanks so much for the mounting points pics. Will save me some misspent cash.)

Last edited:
That one is for a DT. I can tell by looking at the mounting points that it will not fit an XS650.
Yes, It is a real shame that I scrapped several of them. I was way into Bratstyle at the time -- the original Japanese Brat:
https://www.bratstyle.com/custombike/
not the American versions.

View attachment 325316
I've since learned to appreciate all XS650s. Funny, I'm not really into the Bratstyle look anymore.
I like the look of this bike. Particularly because the area behind the air filters had been filled in with some sort of cover. For me, a short front fender would make it perfect. Liking the colour scheme too.

I like the look of this bike. Particularly because the area behind the air filters had been filled in with some sort of cover. For me, a short front fender would make it perfect. Liking the colour scheme too.
That's a fake oil bag (what Harley riders call an oil tank), commonly used to house electrics.

images.jpg

You should check out https://www.bratstyle.com/custombike/
They make really tight builds.

Back