Interesting motorcycles, not XS650

Got a new bike. Took the grandkids to the toy store. None had interest. Well, this 54 year old kid did!

Attachments

• 20240219_111913.jpg
    20240219_111913.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 43
As I mentioned earlier, the only quality issue I had with my '79 GSG850G was that the paint was pretty thin.

It looked nice when brand new but it didn't take much of a rub or a bump to provoke a chip - and so I got a paint "pencil" from the dealer and got to be an expert at touch-ups using a torn-off paper match as a brush. The other thing that people have noted was that the charging system on early GS bikes was a bit fragile but I never had a moment's grief from mine.

The other thing that people have noted was that the charging system on early GS bikes was a bit fragile but I never had a moment's grief from mine.
I assume you kept the connections clean, or only had it from new and sold it within three years.
People who did either (or both) those things were largely unaffected by the charging gremlins, but the cheapskate regulator bit many on the ass.
It's only with the advent of the series regulator that the problem has finally been firmly knocked on the head.

I assume you kept the connections clean, or only had it from new and sold it within three years.
People who did either (or both) those things were largely unaffected by the charging gremlins, but the cheapskate regulator bit many on the ass.
It's only with the advent of the series regulator that the problem has finally been firmly knocked on the head.
The story I heard was that it was not dimensioned properly ..
Here people parked the bikes 6 months for winter no trickle chargers existed then
So come spring the owner tried to start it with a low battery .. As done with cars and other equipment
a 4 cylinder could start but with a low charge on the battery
The charging regulator then attempted to charge up the low battery and since it was low the charging circuit went all in
for a prolonged time and the regulator fried.
In some cases going closed circuit not regulating at all and then fried the alternator also

A casual count gives it 2.25 or 2.5 ;1 final (direct) drive. Lets have our math gurus tell us what the revs were at 100mph with a 24'' tall rear tire???
100 MPH equals 1.67 miles per minute or 8818 feet per minute, rounded off.

24" diameter tire has a circumference of 75 inches or 6.28 feet.

That means it would have to complete 1404 revolutions per minute to cover 8818 feet in a minute.

1404 RPM at the rear tire with a 2.25:1 reduction would require 3159 RPM at the crank, or 3510 RPM for a 2.5:1 reduction.

Seems high for an engine of that era/design, but within the realm of possibility. Whether or not it has the HP to overcome drag at that speed is another question.

100 MPH equals 1.67 miles per minute or 8818 feet per minute, rounded off.

24" diameter tire has a circumference of 75 inches or 6.28 feet.

That means it would have to complete 1404 revolutions per minute to cover 8818 feet in a minute.

1404 RPM at the rear tire with a 2.25:1 reduction would require 3159 RPM at the crank, or 3510 RPM for a 2.5:1 reduction.

Seems high for an engine of that era/design, but within the realm of possibility. Whether or not it has the HP to overcome drag at that speed is another question.
Maybe it didn't reach 100:laughing: Thanks DE

This guy took a 2.5 liter V6, 140hp two stroke motor out of a Mercury outboard and fitted it to a modified Suzuki GSX1100. Tons of engineering and custom work went into this bike, he has a whole series of videos on YouTube showing the whole process. Here is the finished bike going for a ride, it is blisteringly fast!

This guy took a 2.5 liter V6, 140hp two stroke motor out of a Mercury outboard and fitted it to a modified Suzuki GSX1100. Tons of engineering and custom work went into this bike, he has a whole series of videos on YouTube showing the whole process. Here is the finished bike going for a ride, it is blisteringly fast!

Gonna buy me a Mercury, and cruise it up and down the road....................

Back